The role: Data Center Facilities Technician (Colorado Springs, CO)
Facilities Technicians on this team operate, monitor and support all facilities activity at our Wal-Mart CDC data center. You take ownership of the operation and maintenance of water pumps, treatment systems, HVAC, UPS, generators, electrical distribution and control and monitoring Systems. You're at the forefront of best-in-class environmental practices. You ensure that problems are identified and repaired quickly, that contractors deliver quality services and preventive maintenance, and that safety measures are being performed. In emergency situations or abnormal conditions, you respond to data center performance issues and outages to minimize the recovery time from failures.
• An extensive understanding of advanced electrical & mechanical systems; including switchgear, generators, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units, building controls & monitoring systems, fire detection & suppression systems and a working understanding of the startup / commissioning process.
• Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions in facilities systems
• Shipping and Receiving
o Handle incoming shipments and track server assets through deployment
o Knowledge of Forklift operations would be beneficial
• Structured Cabling (Copper & Fiber)
o Capable of building custom cables (CAT5e, CAT6) and wiring custom racks.
• Strong understanding of networks (Internal and Telco)
• Installation of server racks and IT Equipment
• Manage power installs (licensed electrician would install power whips)
• Follow and improve data center best practices
• Track and trend operational characteristics.
• Track issues and run reports
o Understanding of Remedy would be beneficial
• Create documentation for the Site Operations knowledge
• Install a large, scalable inventory of servers, switches, routers, and storage hardware
• Excellent organization and follow-up skills.
• Excellent customer relation and communication skills.
• Excellent project management skills
o Ability to manage multiple activities/projects while working solo.
• Keeps the data center organized and efficient.
• Proven leadership skills
• Develop and support the use of standards
• Ability to adapt to rapidly changing business requirements.
• Lead major projects and provide technical leadership for projects from start to finish
• Research and recommend, and present proposals for new technologies
• Provide business solutions, and breakdown barriers
• Must serve as an example of reliability and follow through
o Be a positive role model for all others, teach and share information
• Take part in the design aspects of data center technologies: performance, ease of use, ease of maintenance, reliability.
• Demonstrated experience working with contractors, building officials, inspectors, etc.
• Carries support pager and participates in change management.
• Associate’s degree, trade school certification, other verifiable training in a relevant technical field. In lieu of qualification, 5+ years of relevant work experience.
• 2 years at journeyman or technician level or similar in a critical environment, especially data center, hospital, or power plant experience.
• 2 years in mechanical/HVAC, electrical, or a combination of both.
• Must be able to lift 75lbs
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Excellent understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including: Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Chillers, Air handling units and CRAC units.
• Ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems.
• Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours or when on-call.
• These positions require shift work that includes weekends and holidays
Data Center Technician/Engineer Colorado
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal-Mart before then, is an American public multinational corporation that runs...