A Blackhawk Network company, Cardpool makes it ridiculously easy to buy and sell pre-owned gift cards. Customers can buy gift cards for up to 35% off or sell unwanted gift cards for cash. By connecting all the gift card holders around the world into one trusted gift card exchange marketplace, we are able to help everyone get exactly what they want, whether it’s a discounted gift card, a different gift card, or simply cash. For more information please visit www.cardpool.com.
We’re looking to hire a Data Scientist/Analyst to join Cardpool, a Blackhawk Network company focused on gift card exchange. Your objectives will be to use your analytical horsepower to understand user behavior and help turn that into insights that grow our customer base and maximize profitability with our partners. This key leadership position focuses on a range of key business challenges that include fraud prevention, pricing, managing inventory risk, and other data-driven strategic issues. You’ll be surrounded by some of the smartest product managers, engineers, and marketers you’ll ever work with!
As a Data Scientist/Analyst at Cardpool you will possess a combination of the analytic, engineering, business and communication skills necessary to:
Build, maintain, and extend technology systems that provide significant value to Cardpool's business. Examples of current systems include both rule-based and machine learning-based fraud prevention systems, tools for understanding customer relationships, and analytics tool suites. Future work might include developing and applying more advanced fraud prevention techniques, continued development/enhancements with dynamic pricing and real-time risk management tools.
Define, scope, and perform data-driven analysis on key strategic issues for Cardpool's business. These analyses range from customer segmentation and lifetime value estimation to competitive intelligence and partnership strategy. All require working directly with other members of Cardpool's business, technology, and executive teams, as well as other stakeholders and leaders at Blackhawk Network.
This role requires both "hard" technical skills and "soft" business strategy and communications skills. For a more technically-focused candidate, the role offers opportunities to participate directly in key business decisions while also making significant contributions to Cardpool's technology, both as an individual and in collaboration with the Engineering team. For a more analytically-oriented candidate, the role offers the opportunity to continue providing high-quality ad hoc analyses and strategic advice while also participating more directly in technology development.
As a part of our team, you will either be familiar with or learn the following skills:
- Apply machine learning algorithms and statistical methods to both structured and unstructured data to spot trends in user behavior
- Set up and help manage a battery of AB and multivariate tests; interpret and evangelize results
- Interface with Product and Engineering to ensure optimal instrumentation of Cardpool products, and appropriate analytics and visualizations for reported data
- Support requests for information from internal and external business partners. Ensure that proper policies and procedures are followed regarding data security and disclosures
- Lead and direct the Cardpool Risk organization and collaborate with all stakeholders to deliver exceptional results
- Work with internal and external partners to monitor and manage fraud incidents on various pre-paid products
- Collaborate with Blackhawk’s global Risk Manager to manage risks and drive actionable insights across the business
- Remain current on anti-money laundering (AML), know your customer (KYC), and other industry standards and proposed process improvements to identify and address risk
- Hire, promote, mentor and continuously raise the bar for a best-of-class team
This role reports to the Cardpool GM and is based in our San Francisco office.
- B.S. required; M.S. or PhD preferred, with concentration in Computer Science, Engineering Math, Statistics, or another quantitative field
- Expert ability to breakdown and clearly define problems
- Exceptional leadership, time management and organization skills with an aptitude towards developing solutions for complex technical functions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – getting people excited about data is a big plus!
- Proficient in machine learning methodologies/statistical modeling (regression, classification and unsupervised approaches)
- Strong programming skills, with a preference for significant prior Python experience
- Experience building robust systems at scale on top of Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar cloud services
- Data presentation and visualization (e.g., R's ggplot, D3.js, etc.)
- 3-5+ years of experience working with data to address key business challenges in an engineering or quantitative role, ideally with a focus on rapid feedback cycle industries (payments, gaming, social, e-commerce, online media etc.)
About Blackhawk Network
Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAWK) is a leading prepaid payment network that supports the physical and digital distribution of a large range of prepaid products. Blackhawk Network utilizes proprietary technology to provide consumers a wide selection of gift cards, prepaid telecom handsets, airtime cards and general purpose reloadable cards across a global network totaling over 100,000 stores. Through Blackhawk’s digital platform, the company supports prepaid products and offers across a growing network of digital distribution partners including leading etailers, financial service providers, social apps, mobile wallets and other integrated physical-to-digital channels. Founded in 2001, Blackhawk Network is headquartered in Pleasanton, California, and offers products and services in the United States and 18 other countries. For more information please visit www.blackhawknetwork.com and www.giftcardmall.com.