The Data Scientist will provide leadership and assumes ultimate accountability for development, implementation, and coordination of system-wide clinical and financial performance metrics within Decision Support Services.
- Deploys healthcare measurement, benchmarks, and evaluation tools to assess and improve clinical performance across the continuum of care for all facilities and employed physician practices.
- Responsible for the development and evolution of the overall clinical and administrative data science strategy within DSS including the definition and implementation of standardized operational processes and practices and the integration of new technology that will allow information to be summarized and analyzed consistently.
- Develops new strategies, encouraging the use of best demonstrated practices and aligning reporting capabilities to support strategic initiatives of multiple customers.
- Ensures consistent implementation of data science tools.
- Oversees and engages in the analysis of healthcare business problems and identification of business opportunities for customers using multiple tools and business processes.
- Directs, coordinates, documents, and is ultimately accountable for all system-wide clinical and administrative data science activities within DSS.
- Utilizes quality improvement tools and methods to improve processes that affect the reliability and validity of data.
- Provides guidance and feedback to team management, administrators and department heads on their application of financial and quality improvement data, utilizing analytic principles, concepts and problem solving tools and techniques.
- Communicates and collaborates with others within and outside the organization to facilitate and coordinate performance measurement services, including, but not limited to, pharmacy, care management, hospitalists, organized medial groups, health plans, independent physicians, and hospital staff.
- Works collaboratively with healthcare providers, the EMR team and Clinical Excellence team to develop disease management metrics, develop technological strategies, and support processes to facilitates implementation of strategies.
- Routinely monitors, manages and controls budget, analyzes variances and takes appropriate action, and develops plans for productivity improvements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires 7 to 10 years of related experience
- Field operational clinical experience a plus
- Master degree required in Finance, Evaluative Clinical Sciences, Health Care Management, or other related health care area
- Availability to travel 30 – 40% annually required
- Must have working knowledge of statistical and analytic tools including but not limited to R, SPSS, SAS, PMML, Teradata, SQL Server Analysis Services, SQL Server Integration Services, Data Modeling, Data Mining, object oriented programming language such as Java or Python.
- Experience with data visualization using applications such as QlikView is a plus.
- Strong mathematical skills and command of the SQL language required.
- Expertise in biostatistics to include oversight for computer programming and healthcare improvement metrics.
- Proven knowledge of healthcare costing, clinical cost drivers, quality improvement and continuous improvement methodologies and tools, systems theory, statistics, healthcare regulations, guidelines and standards
- Experienced in the use of statistical process control, severity adjustment and benchmarking software and databases
- Leadership and teaching abilities
- Positive and effective interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lead and facilitate group decision-making and conflict resolution
- Excellent management and organizational skills; Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple priority projects simultaneously
- Able to work flexible hours as needed
- Able to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines, high volumes and multiple interruptions
- Ability to work effectively with various levels of management personnel, physicians, board members, and other community members