Provide central control of all matters affecting the production databases. Ensure common standards are established. Support development, operating and user staff in the design and implementation of database systems. Provide coordination between users, Network & Help Desk Services, Operations Services, and Application & Support Services relating to database analysis, design, development and implementation.
Operational support of database environments system and to maintain the system at optimum overall efficiency. Ensuring maximum performance and database uptime within organizational constraints by making tuning recommendations based on performance analysis, creating and testing backups for production databases, and monitoring of the database systems. Perform regular analysis to determine and make recommendations relating to performance, security, and efficiency of database systems.
Ensure security on production databases follow documented procedures. Define and implement access controls to the databases and assist in user provisioning and access to databases using proper controls. Ensuring that the database environment is patched with the latest fixes and against security exposures.
Perform installation of new databases and related DB management software. Configuration of software to monitor database for performance, security, and integrity. Ensuring proper change management process for any changes or updates to the database environments.
Carry out and maintain the overall design of databases, including standard data definitions, data dictionary, database security, privacy and recovery systems and any necessary support software. Provide assistance to Sr. Database Administrator, Systems Analysts and Programmer Analysts on the design of database systems and on system and program design.
Keep aware of database developments and trends and investigate their suitability to meet the present and future requirements of the organization. Evaluate alternative database management systems, performance measurement tools and tuning aids and recommend the most suitable solution for the organization’s requirements.
Act as a liaison for all database inquires to the supplier of the system. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Over 3 - less than 5 years related work experience
- Detailed knowledge of database design concepts, pertinent programming language and operating systems knowledge, systems programming, and networking.
- Working experience in the development and maintenance of databases and database management systems.
- Experience in utilizing database software, mainframe knowledge, client server and web development methodologies.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple assignments and priorities.
- Effective interpersonal skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate with senior management staff members and external audiences.
- Ability to deliver effective presentations to both internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated superior analytical skills.
- Ability to evaluate analysis to determine the best value-added databases to match user requirements and work processes.
- Masters Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or Business Administration
- Microsoft certifications for database (MCDBA) or other database management certifications
- Knowledge of information technology systems and concepts which support both business and education
- Prior programmer/analyst experience developing and supporting web applications
- Experience with data management methodologies.
- Experience with database programming languages and the systems development life cycle.