Vykin Corporation is currently looking for an experienced TS/SCI cleared Database Administer/Developer to join our team in National Capital Region. We are a small defense contracting company that is veteran owned servicing the US Department of Defense. The successful candidate will receive above average wages, medical, and vacation plans as well as the opportunity to join a small company that still believes that every employee counts.
- Perform server and storage capacity management and planning for the most complex and critical systems.
- Recommend and implement process and tool improvements to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization's change management and configuration management processes and systems.
- Plan for transition of the development and/or production environment to new technology.
- Recommend and plan server recapitalization. Perform server performance tuning. Baselines and forecasts server performance data and tunes server hardware and software configurations.
- Utilize system software to monitor the performance of system files; manages system data to maintain performance efficiencies.
- Study system requirements to determine proper server installation methods and procedures. May provide 24x7 operational support.
- Provide technical support in the evaluation of prime object names, data elements, and other objects.
- Evaluate proposed objects and their attributes.
- Ensure that proposed object definitions are clear, concise, technically correct, and that they represent singular concepts.
- Answer users' inquiries regarding computer software and hardware operation to resolve problems.
- Enter commands and observe system functioning to verify correct operations and detect errors.
- Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, and peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Oversee the daily performance of computer systems.
- Set up equipment for employee use, performing or ensuring proper installation of cable, operating systems, and appropriate software.
- Maintain record of daily data communication transactions, problems and remedial action taken, and installation activities.
- Read trade magazines and technical manuals, or attend conferences and seminars to maintain knowledge of hardware and software.
- Confer with staff, users, and management to establish requirements for new systems or modifications.
- Conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems and to provide technical assistance and support.
- Create and maintain monitor definitions and rules based upon requirements from Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Monitor and conduct advanced analysis of output and performance of management of systems according to prescribed standards.
- Plan and test capacity requirements.
- Ensure that services are provided with sufficient capacity to meet the business requirements.
- Develop training materials and procedures, or train users in the proper use of hardware or software.
- Refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or technicians for service.
- Prepare evaluations of software or hardware, and recommend improvements or upgrades.
- Supervise and coordinate workers engaged in problem solving, monitoring, and installing data communication equipment and software.
- Inspect equipment and read order sheets to prepare for delivery to users.
- Modify and customize commercial programs for internal needs.
- Conduct office automation feasibility studies, including workflow analysis, space design, or cost comparison analysis.
- Manage, monitor and administer database system performance and schedule activities.
- Perform optimization and tuning of data loads and extractions.
- Recommend appropriate procedure, query or package changes and optimizations to ensure and improve system performance and reliability.
- Install and configure database environments and associated storage systems.
- Perform backups/restores, and archive data.
Required Experience/proficiency with:
- Active in-scope TS/SCI clearance with a Full Scope Polygraph
- BS degree or equivalent years of experience plus 1+ years of experience for a Level 6 developer/administrator up to 21 years of experience for a Level 1 developer/administrator.
- Backup or archival software — Acronis Recovery Expert; Backup and archival software; Systems and data disaster recovery software; VERITAS NetBackup
- Data base management system software — Database management software; Microsoft SQL Server; Quest Central; Sybase Replication Server, Database models
- Development environment software — C; Microsoft Visual Basic; Prolog; Restructured extended executor REXX
- Metadata management software — AllFusion ERwin Data Modeler; Data modeling software; IBM Rational Data Architect; Visual Paradigm DB Visual ARCHITECT
- Object or component oriented development software — Microsoft Visual C# .NET; Practical extraction and reporting language Perl; Sun Microsystems Java; Sybase PowerBuilder
The work is typically performed in an office environment, which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment. The work location is a government facility located on a military installation in the National Capital Region supporting a DoD customer. The successful applicant will be working for and reporting directly to the prime contractor or the DoD customer as appropriate. The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal (essential) functions of this job.
Vykin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V).
As a small veteran owned company, Vykin recognizes the importance of rapidly and effectively delivering Information Technology, Intelligence...