The ideal candidate will be an Oracle DBA with a production support background. 3-5 years experience required.
Required technical skills:
Oracle Enterprise Manager Administration knowledge required.
Production Support for Oracle 11g experience required.
Basic knowledge of Oracle software installation, backup and recovery, Oracle software upgrades processes.
Some Unix experience required - any flavor of Unix. Minimal Shell scripting experience preferred
Basic knowledge of Advanced Features such as Oracle RAC, ASM, Data Guard, RAT a plus
Entry level experience with Database creation, diskgroup creation, adding disks to diskgroups in ASM
Backup and recovery using both RMAN and sqlplus
Oracle Data Guard experience with physical standby preferred. Broker experience not essential.
Planning/participation in major Oracle database upgrade/migration projects
Good understanding of storage technologies
Good understanding of network components
Patching clusterware - major patchsets, PSUs and CPUs.
Experience in prior/newer versions such as 10g and 12c is a plus.
Audit compliance, such as SOX, PCI, SAS-70 (SSAE16) etc.
Interpersonal and other skills
Must be a team player.
Must be able to multi-task and work on multiple work streams in a given day. Must be able to switch from one task to another as situations arise
Must be able to work in a highly stressful environment, and deal with a user base with high strung personalities
Good communication skills, both verbal and written
Must be methodical, and willing to follow documented procedures for repeated technical work, such as software installation, patching, DR etc.
Ask for help and/or seeks advice.
Listen well and utilize information.
Contribute/share ideas and information.
Participation in production support oncall rotation. Weekly rotation (7 member team at full strength).
Participation in monthly outage rotation - 10 outages a year, spread out amongst team. Monthly outages from 2:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Sundays.
Participation in patching outage windows. All non-prod envs will be patched on Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Production will be patched in the monthly outages. Patching is spread out amongst the team. Typical patch workload per DBA per calendar year = 3-4 Thursdays for non-prod, and 2 monthly patch windows scheduled in the monthly outage.
Long weekend oncalls are drawn by lottery, with the caveat that no DBA will take oncall for the same long weekend two years in a row.
Typical workday is from 8:30 to 5:00. Some early and late workday slots may be available
Standard 2 week vacation, 10 days sick/personal - for other benefit details, please refer to the documentation provided to the vendor.
Four year college degree and four or more years of professional experience or six or more years specialized training or professional experience is required.
- Cooperates in a team environment
- Demonstrates initiative
- Understands the importance of quality customer service
- Develops job knowledge
- Treats others with respect
- Takes responsibility for his/her actions
- Manages and resolves conflict
- Embraces diversity
- Portrays a positive attitude
- Flexible; adjusts to change
- Ability to follow direction
- Accepts supervision/guidance
- Complies with Company standards/policies/ procedures
- Displays professionalism in both conduct and dress
- Performs well in critical situations
Skills and Competencies
- Effective verbal/oral written communication
- Provides timely updates on projects to management
- Asks for help/seeks advice
- Listens well/utilizes information
- Shares ideas and information
- Develops rapport with customers
- Develops correspondence skills
- Participates in Right Steps process
- Attends required meetings as specified in TM-M
- Attends team, department, division meetings
- Develops analytical and logic skills
- Good technical skills (i.e. industry products, testing, etc…)
- Develops extensive knowledge of TSYS
- DB2 (DB2 related vendor products, QMF, File-aid DB2, SQL)
- IMS (DBDGEN, PSBGEN, ACBGEN, IDCAMS, DL/I, File-aid IMS)
- Associated relational database competencies
- Attends to detail
- Manages time and priorities productively
- Conducts meetings effectively
- Multitask oriented
- Manages multiple tasks effectively
- Creates and maintains accurate documentation
- Irregular hours
- Use of a pager when on call
- Participates in the decision-making process and acts quickly to carry out decisions.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills
- Practices confidentiality.
- Follow through with tasks assigned
- Recognizes problems/issues and brings to management’s attention
Total System Services, Inc.
Stephanie Danielle Johnson
44 million times each day, the people of TSYS® improve lives and businesses across the world by processing a payment. We make it...