JOB TITLE: Dean of Students - West (2014 - 2015)
REPORTS TO: School Director
JOB GOAL : Plan, implement and evaluate a comprehensive program that teaches, maintains, and improves the YES Prep Public Schools culture at the campus level based on the defined needs of population served. Provide systems and a support program that will maximize personal growth and development and assist all students in achieving optimal academic success.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Work with relevant stakeholders to develop and implement school-wide programs that increase student persistence and improve campus health.
- Develop, implement, manage and execute effective school behavior systems ensuring incorporation of parent communication in each process.
- Manage, coach, model and develop team members in the area of stakeholder interactions through communication, observations, meetings and collaboration.
- Manage and evaluate comprehensive programs that will assist students in achieving optimal academic success.
- Collect, maintain and analyze relevant student data to evaluate and modify all systems of accountability.
- Provide coaching and feedback to teachers on indicators of the IER as directed by School Director.
- Develop, sustain and model transformative relationships with various stakeholders including staff, students, families and community members that reinforce campus vision and culture.
- Ensure systems and structures are in place to identify, provide and execute interventions for students with academic and/or behavioral needs that will maximize student achievement and persistence.
- Manages the setting, progress monitoring and review of school-wide goals and initiatives for the year that are aligned to Campus Health priority planning.
- Establish, build and maintain a school culture among students, staff and parents that promotes the YES Prep mission, core purpose, core values.
- Plan and develop new programs; Submit program proposals to School Director, Heads of Schools and Board of Directors for approval.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution (required)
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution (preferred)
Skills and Mindsets:
- Must have at least 2 years of an exemplary record as a teacher and/or school level leader.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
There is no domestic travel related to this position other than potential professional development for the role.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...