The City of Pasadena is seeking an experienced, energetic and strategic attorney with sound independent judgment to join our team of dynamic legal professionals. There is currently one vacancy in the City Attorney/City Prosecutor's Office which may be filled at the Deputy City Attorney level or the Assistant City Attorney level depending upon experience and qualifications.
MUST APPLY ONLINE
The following represent some of the major job responsibilities. For more detailed information, please refer to the job descriptions for the Deputy City Attorney (c) and the Assistant City Attorney (c).
Performs complex and difficult civil legal work in one or more areas of municipal law on behalf of City officials, departments, advisory bodies and commissions.
Confers with and advises City departments, advisory boards and administrative commissions concerning their respective duties, powers, functions and obligations.
Attends meetings of the City Council, advisory boards or commissions as needed.
Drafts, reviews and amends various legal documents including ordinances, resolutions, contracts, leases, opinion letters, legal memoranda, ordinance fact sheets and agenda reports.
Participates in all phases of City litigation pending in state and federal court and before administrative bodies, including legal research, preparation of pleadings and written discovery, court appearances, attendance at depositions and trial preparation.
Conceptualizes and researches legal problems; prepares opinions; prepares and/or reviews and approves agreements, ordinances, resolutions and other legal documents, especially in areas of potentially high exposure to the City (Assistant City Attorney level).
Develops strategy for and handles and/or supervises important litigation matters encompassing a wide variety of complex legal issues, including all phases of pretrial, trial and appellate work in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies; implements cost control procedures for outside counsel.
Monitors developments, including proposed legislation and court decisions related to municipal law and activities, and evaluates their impact upon City operations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for acceptable job performance. Example combinations include:
Deputy City Attorney: Graduation from an accredited law school and at least three years of experience in the practice of law.
Assistant City Attorney: Graduation from an accredited law school and at least five years of experience in the practice of law.
Experience in one or more areas of municiapl law, land use, litigation, contracts and labor and employment is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of California law and procedure
- Knowledge of one or more areas of municipal law, including, but not limited to, land use, employment, public contract, public utility, redevelopment and municipal tort liability
- Knowledge of administrative law and practices.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, review and evaluate varied legal activities and functions
- Perform complex legal research and analysis of problems and services, evaluating alternatives and preparing sound recommendations
- Exercise independent judgment and communicate extremely well, both orally and in writing
- Produce high quality legal work under pressure from clients and time constraints
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other officials and employees of the City, State and Federal government, court officials, and the general public
- Represent the City effectively in meetings with others
Active membership in the California State Bar.
Possession of or ability to obtain a Class C California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.
All applications will be screened upon receipt, and only candidates who meet minimum job qualifications and who are the most highly competitive may be invited to a written, oral and/or performance examination.
There is currently one vacancy in the City Attorney/City Prosecutor's Office. As a result of this selection process, an eligible list of candidates will be established which will be used to fill this vacancy and other similar vacancies in the future.