The Deputy Field Director is responsible for the management of assigned field campaigns, year round field activities and field staff. The Deputy Field Director supervises field staff who work to execute program and campaign priorities of the department and federation.. Working with and under the supervision of the national Field Director, the DFD works closely with National Campaigns Coordinators to integrate all campaign work within the field. The Deputy Field Directors also work with other departments as necessary.|
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Work with the National Field Director to determine campaign field strategy and goals for specific campaigns.
- Assist in the development of union member and voter contact plans for electoral, legislative and at times, organizing support campaigns;
- Assist National Field Director, field staff in constructing the field plan for field operations including the drafting of the field budgets, work plans and overall timeline;
- Manage field operations in assigned regions while coordinating the integration and assignment of Federation resources for simultaneous field campaigns in assigned regions;
- Works with department and other appropriate staff to develop year round work plans and regular reporting mechanisms for assigned field staff;
- Coordinate with Campaigns department staff, to determine what strategic alliances with labor and non-labor partners are needed in support of campaign objectives;
- Assist in the development of accountability systems in the field to ensure that campaign goals are met, including the implementation of post-campaign debriefs and assessments;
- Develop and implement strategies to streamline resources to support field campaign activity and to avoid duplicative campaign work in the regions;
- Work field staff to assess and develop state federation and labor council capacity to implement effective campaigns as needed;
- Keeps the National Field Director informed on a regular basis regarding issues that affect departmental or Federation objectives;
- Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports as requested;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelors degree preferred with a minimum of least 7 years of prior experience coordinating all aspects of issue, organizing or political campaigns including demonstrated success as a deputy or field campaign manager;
- Extensive experience drafting field plans including budgets;
- Extensive experience managing staff and diverse staff teams;
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and support role;
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with both national, state and local structures of the labor movement;
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships;
- Strong working knowledge of state legislative processes;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent political judgment and discretion;
- Ability to work independently within context of a plan;
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time;
- Computer proficiency is required: including VAN, database/spreadsheet, power point.
AFL-CIO - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard -
The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) is a voluntary federation of 61 national and...