Design Engineer - Utility Products
The Design Engineer for our Utility products invents, designs, documents, builds and tests new solutions for assigned industry using CAD tools. This role supports design in production, sales, service, troubleshooting and updating. This position is also responsible for analyzing and providing realistic recommendations on structural components to ensure that design meets the design goals and customer needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Design and detail purchased items, machining, weld and assembly prints using CAD software for manufacturability, cost effectiveness and safety.
Support, supervise and assist Engineering Technicians with all aspects of building and testing prototypes. Supervise assigned personnel in performance of their duties such that performance exceeds or meets expectations.
Analyze production issues and create solutions.
Calculate unknown loading and directions where required from data and assumptions.
Review existing digital models and provide guidance for creation or modification to use as a basis for Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
Develop bill of materials.
Test design changes made by technicians.
Instruct other users on Solid Works, SmarTeam, AutoCAD and ECN tools and best practices.
Other Skills and Abilities
- 4-year college degree preferred with a major in Mechanical, Industrial, Agriculture or Electrical Engineering; and/or combination of education and experience.
- Or 3-5 years experience in related fields with at least a high school diploma or equivalent; and/or combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Must be proficient in material strength calculation skills, proficiency in operating CAD software and in operating Microsoft Office products including, but not limited to, Excel and Access.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
- Ability to identify the root cause of defective parts of product design solutions, including manufactured and purchased component sizing.
- Ability to operate strain gage installation materials,fork lift, simple mechanics tools and wrenches, assembly hand tools, drill press, lathe, band saw and assembly power tools.
- Ability to create robust design, identify changes early in the design progress and to recognize design commonality.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with the public/customers and co-workers and maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness with customers and peers.
- Ability to produce accurate, professional and error-free documents in a timely manner.
- Demonstration of good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge in the FEA area and all associated processes, hydraulics, electronics, statistics and strength of materials which is critical to cost, durability and serviceability of products to use in performance of job duties, including checking machined, welded and assembled parts.
- Ability to effectively manage time and resources to meet the needs and schedules of internal customers and respond immediately to production questions and crisis with solutions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to understand material strengths, fatigue strength, and manufacturability to ensure that the right configuration and materials are developed.
- Ability to supervise staff in the performance of duties such that performance meets or exceeds expectations
P.E. certificate or equivalent preferred
Vermeer is an EEO/AAP/M/F/V/D employer
Aug 30, 2013, 9:24:34 AM
Vermeer's products have the power to move the earth. The company manufactures a slew of production and farm equipment, distributed...