Interest Sub Category:
Engineering - Civil
Job Title :
Design-Build Design Manager
Type of Position:
This position requires successful completion of the URS Project Management Certification program within 6 months of hire. This certification is a series of learning modules and is available on-line through the URS Learning Management System at no financial cost to the employee.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 15 years of progressive design experience in water and wastewater treatment plant design.
- Demonstrated experience managing design teams on large, complex engineering projects, especially alternative delivery (e.g., design-build).
- Must have, or be able to obtain through reciprocity a Professional Engineer registration in Washington.
- Eight (8) years’ experience in staff management, including managing a department and/or large design-build projects.
- Client management and project management experience on water/wastewater design-build projects with construction values of at least $80 million.
- Experience preparing design fees and negotiating fees with clients including contractor team partners.
- Extensive experience preparing proposals and conducting interviews and presentations.
- Experience at public speaking with good written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with interpreting contract documents.
- Experience in the field of risk management.
- Experience in business development, building relationships with potential clients, identifying opportunities, strategizing, and winning new work.
- Experience with strategic planning and “charting the course” for future business, especially related to the design-build market.
- Field engineering experience necessary to be able to make field decisions related to construction conflicts.
- Must have a successful track record in conflict resolution.
- Must have a positive attitude and a propensity for collaborative teamwork.
URS is one of the largest, global, fully integrated engineering, construction and technical services firms with the capabilities to support the full project life cycle. We offer a full range of program management; planning, design and engineering; systems engineering; science and technical services; construction and construction management; operations and maintenance; and decommissioning and closure services. Our business lines encompass private sector (mining, oil and gas, power, pipeline, commercial-industrial, manufacturing, and chemical-Pharmaceutical); infrastructure (surface transportation, rail and mass transit, aviation, ports and harbors, and water resources, treatment, and distribution); and federal programs. With more than 50,000 employees in a network of offices in major cities throughout the Americas, Asia-Pacific, the Middle East and Europe, our broad-based expertise is a valued resource for federal, state and local government agencies, as well as Fortune 500 and other private industry clients worldwide.
WATER AND WASTEWATER TREATMENT BUSINESS PROFILE:
For more than a century, URS has worked with clients worldwide to develop innovative solutions to their water and wastewater treatment needs. Today, URS provides the full range of services required to plan, design, construct, and operate and maintain water and wastewater treatment projects for public and private owners. We deliver world-class services from initial characterization, process evaluation, and technology selection through detailed design, construction and operations and maintenance.
Our record is particularly visible in the Pacific Northwest, where our major water and wastewater treatment projects are high profile and meeting critical needs. Our Seattle office is currently an industry leader in water and wastewater treatment design which is helping to address critical infrastructure needs in our community. We are in need of talented water and wastewater professionals to join our growing business.
This is an opportunity to join our dynamic and growing Pacific Northwest team as a Design Manager for Design-Build or other alternative delivery project opportunities in the Pacific Northwest region, specifically in the greater Seattle area. This individual will serve on current and planned project opportunities, and will have an important role in expanding URS’ design-build business.
Primary duties would include:
- Serve as a key member of the NW Region Water/Wastewater business line.
- Work closely with our Water/Wastewater Market Segment Leaders in developing new business.
- Project work entails the oversight of the design-build design team and the delivery of the products required for the successful completion of the project.
- The position requires the Design Manager to be engaged on the project from inception to completion, i.e. participation in the teaming meetings with contractors, negotiation of the terms and conditions for the pre-award and post-award work, preparation of qualification statements, leading and participating in the task group meetings with contractors to advance the design, development of innovative approaches to project elements to reduce costs and add value, development of the design schedule and design delivery plan, and preparation and negotiation of the design fee with the contractors.
- The position requires working closely with the contractor’s staff while supporting the URS design position throughout the term of the work.
- The position can be based in any office within the NW Region of URS. Travel will be required. It is expected that on alternative delivery projects, co-location will be required based on where the team deems most appropriate for the project pursuit and execution.
URS Corporation - 24 months ago
URS Corporation provides a range of engineering, construction, maintenance, and technical services for customers around the world. Through...