Couchbase is at the forefront of the biggest advance in database technology in over forty years. Our solutions are specifically targeted at modern web and mobile applications. With thousands of deployments globally, Couchbase database technology powers highly-visible applications including those at Zynga, AOL, Deutsche Post, Orbitz, NTT Docomo and hundreds of other household names world. This is your opportunity to be part of introducing this change to the world.
As a Developer Advocate, you’ll create and develop an interface to some of the coolest database software on the planet. You will develop PHP and node.js client library software for Couchbase, going “up” the stack into frameworks such as PHP Cake or Express with node.js. You'll also work “down” the stack to make sure Couchbase has the best possible interface from PHP and node to the database system itself. As one of the primary faces to developer communities, you will create examples and documentation around working with Couchbase. Driving the understanding and design of software which uses NoSQL database systems, which are key components in growing public and private cloud deployments will be part of your daily work.
- Create, enhance and maintain Couchbase client libraries for PHP and node.js. The PHP extension is a PECL type extension, where most development is done in C. The node.js extension too builds atop the C library libcouchbase, so working knowledge of C is required.
- Create, enhance and maintain various documentation artifacts designed to make it easy for software developers to quickly become productive with Couchbase with their PHP and node.js applications.
- Maintain, nurture and enhance community contributions to the Couchbase community wiki and forums from the overall Couchbase community.
- Work directly with developers using Couchbase Server to explain concepts, development patterns and occasionally assist in directing support.
- Introduce PHP and node developers to new approaches in managing data in Couchbaseʼs database products.
- Carry the Couchbase message to developers everywhere - EVANGELIZE! Help those who have not yet heard of Couchbase Server understand the concepts and help those within the Couchbase development community to further understand and contribute.
Good to have:
- The right person for this role will be a self-motivated, independent, and highly productive individual, with ability to learn new technologies and become quickly proficient. They will be able to point to examples of their ability to write thoughtful, interesting articles, blog posts and other documentation to help others understand new concepts.
- Must have a minimum of 2-8 years of software development experience in a professional software development organization. At least one year of this experience should be focused on publicly deployed PHP backed web sites.
- Expertise with PHP and demonstrated competence with node.js. Should have solid familiarity with at least one other scripting language. Familiarity with Java or .NET is not required, but would be valued.
- Must have the ability to work in a fast paced environment and to be an outstanding team player.
- Familiarity with distributed networked server systems that run cross-platform on Linux and Windows is highly desired.
- Experience with git SCM, and tools such as Atlassian Jira, Confluence are also strongly desired.
Couchbase - 13 months ago