This position will sit in Des Moines, IA.
1. Configures systems and/or develops and maintains high quality code
2. Tests individual programs and configurations (i.e., unit-level testing)
3. Debugs systems and resolves technical issues
4. Documents technical solutions within the systems and externally
5. Identifies problems and recommends corresponding solutions
6. Determines programming effects on existing systems
7. Modifies detailed applications with minimal to moderate guidance
8. Programs applications at the highest level of technical expertise
9. Maintains solid knowledge of all application programming areas and is a top-level expert in one or more highly specialized areas
10. Acts independently under general direction
11. Provides technical consulting on complex projects
12. Creates or modifies procedures to solve complex problems, taking equipment, operating time and desired results into account
13. Contributes strategic vision to the business solution area (BSA) and integrates a broad range of IT application development ideas throughout the organization
14. Is sought as a resource for resolution of unique or complex IT application development problems, involving multiple disciplines and possibly even multiple BSAs
The ideal candidate will have the following:
* Previous COBOL experience
* Mainframe background
* CICS experience is a plus
JOB SUMMARY: With moderate guidance, modifies applications programs from detailed specifications. Analyzes, codes, tests, debugs, documents, and maintains those programs and interfaces. This level is staffed by individuals who have had sufficient educational background and/or experience to qualify them to start in applications programming. Position uses problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems. Position is able to identify problems and recommend corresponding solutions.
1. With moderate guidance, develops cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new or modifying existing software applications.
2. Analyzes and validates system requirements and existing business processes and information systems. Assists in the development and implementation of new programs and/or modifications of existing applications.
3. Codes, tests, debugs, documents and implements software applications according to standards.
4. Develops specifications and programs technical modules, applications and computer programs.
5. Participates in most aspects of applications programming and development including file design, update, storage and retrieval.
6. Evaluates and provides technical solutions to application development problems.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in computer science, management information systems, mathematics or related field is preferred.
Experience: No experience is required if completed undergraduate studies in computer science, management information systems, or related degree.
Knowledge: Must have knowledge in computer programming language. Must have an understanding in systems and data processing policies, practices and procedures. Must have general knowledge of the systems development life cycle.
Skills/Competencies: Must have the ability to analyze applications and systems. Must be able to program systems requiring interfaces. Must possess problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems. Must have decision-making skills for problem identification and solution recommendation.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Director and HR Officer
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Associates may have on-call responsibility after normal working hours and/or on weekends.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Not Applicable
Safety Sensitive (SS): Not Applicable
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 17 months ago