Located in Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute brings together world-renowned clinicians, innovative researchers, and dedicated professionals as allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow’s physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
We are looking for a Development Assistant whose role may include the following duties:
ANNUAL GIVING DIRECT MARKETING PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION
REPORTING AND DATABASE
- Assist with drafting and editing copy and developing themes for direct mail pieces.
- Review and proof materials for effectiveness, consistency, and adherence to Dana-Farber standards prior to release to vendors or internal mailing.
- Obtain photo and patient story approvals – keep record of approvals.
- Send copies of mail piece and results to patients, families, staff etc featured as requested.
- Direct proposed appeal mailings through required proofing and managerial approvals process.
- Distribute copies of appeals to Contribution Services as they are being released to print and mail. Track that distribution has occurred.
- Closely monitor and coordinate Annual Giving solicitation calendar to ensure adherence to target dates – update Annual Giving calendar to accurately reflect mail dates.
- Assist as required in production of other Annual Giving communications, including solicitations, stewardship pieces, web pages, newsletters, brochures, calling scripts, etc.
- Organize and file appeals sent from Direct Marketing.
- Work with Development Officer to respond on a weekly basis to donor questions and requests. Track action steps taken.
GENERAL SUPPORT/OTHER ACTIVITIES AS NEEDED
- Enter appeal codes, source codes, and scan lines for direct marketing appeals. Assist in reviewing data prior to releasing mailing to vendor.
- Process direct marketing vendor invoices through the fiscal system. Organize and file direct marketing invoices.
- Produce and distribute response and financial reports. Report progress on direct marketing goals & responsibilities to the department.
- Coordinate with information systems staff to produce data files for solicitations.
- Answer and respond to direct marketing calls and requests from donors, prospective donors, volunteers and sponsors. Take appropriate steps to follow-up. Determine priority of the situation. Suggest response and refer to/inform supervisor as appropriate.
- Work with Direct Marketing Development Officer to respond to notes and comments as appropriate. Assistant Development Officer with other projects as necessary.
- Assist with coordination of donor gatherings/events.
- Assist with front desk tasks as requested, including phone coverage.
- Responsible for assisting the entire department, including other business units, in reaching goals.
- Participate as needed in Development & Jimmy Fund team efforts including solicitation strategy teams for key prospects and internal planning efforts. Ad-hoc projects. Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Associate degree and/or administrative training degree required.
- As this level position is often considered a “base” for someone pursuing a Development career, a Bachelor’s degree is highly preferred.
- 1-2 years administrative experience preferred.
- Excellent analytical and communications skills (both written and verbal) are necessary.
- Superior organizational skills, ability to manage a variety of projects, and attention to detail are key.
- Directed and self-starting attitude; ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong computer skills and competency in Microsoft Office Suite products, including Outlook and especially Excel, is necessary.
- Familiarity with database applications and Adobe preferred.
- Familiarity with e-commerce applications preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines and bottom line goals.
- High degree of confidentiality must always be exercised.
This position is full-time, Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week; some evening and weekend work may be necessary.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an Affirmation Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in our workforce.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - 14 months ago