The Health and Human Development (HHD) Division has an opening for a Development Manager/Writer, reporting to the HHD Division Director in EDC’s headquarters in Waltham.
HHD is dedicated to promoting human development across the life cycle. Our work ranges from health promotion and prevention to early intervention and care. By applying public health and social science strategies, we encourage behaviors and create environments that promote health and prevent disease and injury. The research we conduct and programs we develop support all kinds of organizations. We work at the national, state, and local levels with government agencies, schools and universities, community organizations, hospitals and clinics, law enforcement, and the workplace. To solve complex problems and provide a coordinated response, we also facilitate collaboration among public health, health care, mental health, education, juvenile justice, and social service agencies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, partners, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The HHD Development Manager/Writer is responsible for managing the writing and editorial activities for strategic proposal development and execution to meet both internal and external standards of excellence. S/He is capable of conceptualizing strategies and content, producing high volume, high quality materials within tight deadlines, collaborating with senior staff, writers, and Subject Matter Experts (SME) to manage high level proposals addressing the specific requirements of the RFP/RFTOP.
The Development Manager/Writer’s responsibilities include:
The Development Manager/Writer promotes equity and opportunity in support of EDC’s commitment to diversity.
- Researching and reviewing funding opportunities, including RFPs and RFTOPs, to make recommendations to senior staff. HHD projects and development efforts are primarily U.S. based; some international development is also expected
- Analyzing the technical requirements of RFPs, RFTOPs, etc. to initiate writing plans and timelines
- Working with senior staff, SMEs, and writers to manage proposal process and establish proposal team; contributing editorial and conceptual guidance to writing staff
- Managing proposal style guides, ensuring editorial consistency with funder guidelines and EDC/HHD development objectives
- Synthesizing materials to create conceptual strategies and content for major proposals proposal; writing sections or entire proposals as needed
- Integrating divisional and organizational win themes throughout the proposal to ensure consistent messaging and promotion of key components; highlighting previous and current work with funder as applicable
- Managing the conceptual development of appropriate graphics and presentations, working with the creative team and SMEs to ensure consistency and accuracy of messaging
- Substantive editing, including reorganizing information and/or revising text; works with other writers to address issues
- Copyediting drafts and final document according to style guides; checks against RFP to ensure all requirements have been met
- Managing internal win/loss review process, including requests for feedback from funder on loss decisions
QUALIFICATIONS - This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
Education and Experience:
- Exceptional writing and analytic skills; aptitude for details and conceptual writing
- Proven experience writing winning proposals for multiple funders, particularly government agencies such as the U.S. Departments of Health and Human Services, Defense, Education, Justice, and Veterans Affairs; the CDC, NIH; state and local agencies; international experience is a plus
- Demonstrated success with contract awards of $500 K and up; portfolio of success with multi-year, multi-million dollar projects is preferred
- Familiarity with government agencies, foundations, and other funding sources, including understanding of, and experience with, government contracts, cooperative agreements, and grants; fee-for-service; and other award types
- Familiarity with public health terminology and concepts, including HIV and AIDS, substance abuse prevention, suicide prevention, PTSD, reproductive health, injury and violence prevention, school health, mental health promotion
- Ability to write appealing, persuasive, and technically accurate text in accordance with funder guidelines for page count and format
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects with multiple teams while meeting deadlines
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
CONTACT: No phone calls, please
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of training & expertise in public health, global health, or public policy; Ph.D. or equivalent desirable
- 8-10 years related writing/editing/project management experience, with 3-5 years of successful public health development writing
- Demonstrable leadership skills
Education Development Center - 19 months ago