First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
As the Development Manager , your objective is to increase First Wind’s project portfolio in the U.S. and Latin America, primarily focusing on solar development and acquistions. You will report to the Chief Development Officer, but also collaborate with the Vice President Development and Vice President of M&A to drive the business plan for the team through strategy, planning, resource allocation and execution. You will work closely with the regional development team and interface with all levels of government agencies, community representatives, planning boards and land owners. You will also work extensively with internal departments such as Legal, Wind Resources, Environmental Affairs, External Affairs, Construction, Engineering and Finance throughout the development lifecycle.
· Work with senior management to achieve results of the business plan by evaluating solar and wind M&A targets in the U.S. and Latin America, assessing project viability and providing guidance to Associates and Managers.
· Work closely with the Mergers and Acquisition team to identify possible project partnerships in the region.
· Coordinate compliance with Environmental Affairs team for permitting requirements such as wildlife and impact studies. Manage outside consultants’ budgets and scope, work with local and state permitting agencies to ensure compliance with permitting requirements.
· Meet with landowners and provide an introduction to First Wind. Gain an understanding of community to develop a positive, long term relationship with stakeholders, businesses and residents.
· Assist Origination team with analyzing power and green tag potential, developing revenue plans and submissions to utilities and agencies.
· Work with the financial and commercial executives to create and manage the financial project model.
· Partner with the engineering and construction teams to assist in project scoping, budgeting and management.
· Ensure project milestones are met through due diligence. This includes compiling and organizing data for presentation to the risk committee to assess project value to the organization at various stages.
· Continue to build the project pipeline and manage multiple projects.
· Graduate degree required preferably an MBA, Finance or Engineering. At minimum must have a four-year college degree.
· Must have a minimum of 3 years previous leadership experience in development cycle of a renewable energy project, with a preference for Solar.
· Minimum of 5-years managing multiple development projects in a planning, environmental, legal, finance or engineering capacity. 7-10 years of experience preferred. Projects should be in power generation, utilities, or industrial real estate development.
· Fluency in the Spanish language. (Speaking, Reading, & Writing) is preferred.
· Must possess expertise interfacing with all levels of government and regulatory agencies in the Latin American region.
· Possess subject matter expertise in a business function directly related to the development process.
· Experience with leading or managing others.
· Financial analysis and budgeting skills, formal project management training and skills or policy analysis experience.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong negotiation and presentation skills in English and Spanish.
· Ability to create forms, letters and fundamental spreadsheets using MS Word and Excel. Ability to create presentations in Power Point. Ability to perform internet based research.
· Self-motivated with ability to work in a team and independently.
· Possess valid USA Passport and valid driver’s license with safe driving record.
· Must be able to walk over undeveloped land unassisted, travel unassisted and sit at a computer for long periods of time.
· 65%+ travel in the U.S. and Latin American regions will be required including a minimum 2-3 week stay abroad. Must be able to work evenings and weekends to attend meetings and community events.