Reporting to the Director of International Fundraising, manage a portfolio of potential international donors, identify potential donors, cultivate and solicit gifts, and direct stewardship efforts. Build relationships with potential donors for self, the President, and others at the University. Travel frequently to meet donors and prospects and staff campus visits from potential donors. The officer must be flexible and able to work with prospects from any part of the world, and be available to travel and prepare to send faculty where the best potential donors can be most effectively cultivated. |
Department URL Address:
Click here for more information
1. Develops cultivation and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of prospects and donors. Builds and manages network of relationships with prospective donors involving University administrators and faculty. Facilitates and coordinates all communication with these prospects and among the prospect’s campus relationships. Promotes positive relations with these prospects and donors.
2. Evaluates various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and recommend the most suitable for a particular donor.
3. Interacts with internal contacts such as Deans, Directors, Faculty, Officers, and other Development staff to consult on University needs, to formulate strategies to promote prospect engagement with the University and to identify potential donors.
4. Assists with the strategy for and creation of written communications from various University administrators appropriate to a donor’s interests.
5. Typically participates (often in concert with others) in gift solicitations to fund University programs and to enhance the development efforts of the Schools and departments.
6. May travel (possibly extensively) commensurate with Yale’s standard expectations for fundraising activity, contact and travel. May involve international travel depending upon prospect assignments.
7. Performs additional development-related activities/efforts at the request of manager.
8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and four to six years of experience in fundraising or a related field, preferably in higher education or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience working with sensitive information and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Excellent interpersonal skills to relate to and gain the trust of donors, volunteers, colleagues and high-level university administrators.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Superior written and oral communication, negotiation, organizational, analytical and fundraising skills, including the ability to interpret financial information and manage data. Strong communicator, and a sensitivity to cross-cultural settings.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Self-motivated (“a self-starter”); innovative and able to work with independence within a team environment and a network of relationships. Ability to manage a large number of fundraising activities simultaneously--the ability to manage complex issues creatively, effectively, and with humor.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated experience and understanding of the development field, including demonstrated track record in individual giving. Demonstrated experience and effectiveness in the identification of potential donors, relationship building, and solicitation.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Must be able to travel and be curious about and sensitive to the culture and professional practices of the countries the Officer visits. Be able to brief the President, Vice President, and others on these countries.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Knowledge of Yale University, proven experience working and traveling with the President, Officers, Deans, Directors and faculty. Knowledge and curiosity about the culture and language of the international regions where prospects reside. Affinity for and sensitivity to international cultures and people. Fluency in a foreign language is desirable.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University - 16 months ago
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...