Title: DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (MID-LEVEL GIFTS)
Supervisor: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Position Summary – Responsible for discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of mid-level giving.
Required Qualifications – Bachelors Degree or equivalent and 3-5 years experience in professional fund development experience or equivalent.
Core Expectations – This group of expectations applies to any individual who is employed by Sacred Heart Hospital.
Expectations - Competencies/Behaviors:
Delight your patients, customers and co-workers:
1. Demonstrates a team/collaborative approach with colleagues.
a. Seeks win-win solutions.
b. Helps and supports co-workers and physicians.
c. Actively participates in team discussions and activities.
2. Demonstrates the core values of care, joy, respect and competence in interactions with peers, patients, family members, physicians and others.
3. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with Service Excellence Standards (as delineated in the Service Excellence Standards Book).
4. Practices effective communication skills:
a. Active listening.
b. Gives clear and concise information.
c. Constructive interactions (verbal, nonverbal and written).
5. Seeks and supports a non-violent climate.
1. Reports to work on time. Provides proper notification and advance notice of absence/tardiness.
2. Complies with lunch and break periods in accordance with Hospital Policy and department staffing needs.
3. Is punctual for appointments and meetings.
4. Demonstrates good time management skills; utilizes work hours efficiently to avoid unnecessary overtime.
5. Serves on committees, teams, task forces, etc., as assigned.
6. Meets project deadlines.
7. Follows up on matters requiring additional attention.
Grow and learn:
1. Attends and participates in annual mandatory inservices and other required inservices and meetings.
2. Attends and participates in continuing education as appropriate.
3. Shares expertise and knowledge with others and demonstrates openness to learn from other staff.
4. Participates in orientation preceptorship and mentoring of students, volunteers and other staff as appropriate.
5. Participates in projects, clinic and community programs as appropriate.
Support organizational success:
1. Demonstrates awareness, understanding and support of the Hospital Philosophy, Mission and strategic direction.
2. Follows established Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures.
3. Promotes new ideas and adapts to change in a constructive manner.
4. Supports good stewardship through effective use of resources.
5. Understands, supports and participates in performance improvement processes at Sacred Heart Hospital.
6. Uses basic performance improvement tools, such as problem solving, brain storming, etc.
7. Suggests ideas for performance improvement and barrier removal.
8. Reads and acts on Hospital information and communication, i.e., memos, communication boards, communication log, newsletters, etc.
9. Demonstrates knowledge and behaviors that support a safe environment (infection control, fire safety, utilities management, etc.)
Job Specific Expectations - This group of expectations relates to the specific responsibilities of the position.
Expectations - Competencies/Behaviors:
Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward mid-level giving:
1. Discover and identify individuals capable of mid-level giving
2. Develop, document and conduct moves to advance mid-level donor relationships
3. Cultivate meaningful donor-centered relationships, through individual meetings, small group events and personalized correspondence.
4. Discover and carry out opportunities to solicit mid-level giving
5. Responsible for mid-level giving portion of capital campaign
5. Effectively steward donors giving at this level
Develop mid-level gifts portion of annual giving program:
1. Responsible for mid-level gifts portion of annual giving appeals.
2. Identify individuals with the capacity to increase their annual giving; create and implement donor relationship development plan.
2. Responsible for securing identified major sponsorships for events (Gala and Classic)
3. Identify organizations with the capacity to provide major sponsorships; create and implement relationship development plan
4. Coordinate efforts with Development Coordinator and Development Director
Integrate planned giving:
1. Identify individuals and opportunities for planned gift development
2. Promote planned giving in one on one meetings with mid-level donors.
3. Effectively coordinate efforts with Director of Development
Utilize volunteers effectively:
1. Maximize the efforts of staff through effective and appropriate utilization of volunteers in donor identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
Keep useful records:
1. Manage donor records and prospect lists in conjunction with other department staff
2. Track donor interactions.
3. Update donor records
Be a good ambassador:
1. Represent Sacred Heart Hospital at hospital, business and community activities.
Do what is necessary:
1. Works with appropriate Development Staff, Friends of Sacred Heart Hospital board members, Committee Members, and Hospital Staff to:
a. Determine annual goals, objectives and corresponding budget.
b. Do whatever is necessary to insure a successful fund development program