Position Summary: |
The External Projects Director/Associate Director is a key role within the Oncology iMed Strategy organization with accountability to support the identification and assessment of external assets and collaboration opportunities to proactively and strategically strengthen AstraZeneca's Oncology pipeline. As part of an entrepreneurial, vibrant team, the successful candidate will be required to work independently, as well as lead cross-functional teams to identify and drive the rigorous scientific evaluation of potential assets. The candidate will have a strong background in Oncology and be able to handle a wide range of projects, with a proven track record of engaging externally. They will use their strong scientific judgement and communication skills to provide recommendations on assets to senior management to support the externalization objectives of the Oncology Innovative Medicines (iMed) Unit.
Dependent on the skill set and knowledge of selected candidate this may be leveled at a F or G.
- Lead/Supports the identification and evaluation of the best external licensing and partnering opportunities emanating from biotech, big pharma companies, academic groups, non-profit organizations, and venture, in the prioritized areas of interest to the Oncology iMed.
- Lead/Contributes to strategic discussions relevant to the Oncology iMED licensing deliverables.
- Leads scouting initiatives and cross-functional matrix teams to assess potential assets, delivering high quality evaluations and clear recommendations to senior management on whether to progress or terminate further evaluation.
- Leads/supports Due Diligence processes.
- Provides expert technical and scientific support to evaluation and due diligence teams.
- Develops and leverages a network of contacts in the external scientific and biopharmaceutical community to support externalization goals.
- Establishes relationships and trust with colleagues in business development, iScience, Translational, clinical and other organizational functions across AstraZeneca to ensure high quality and timely delivery of licensing evaluations and opportunities.
- Best represents AstraZeneca's scientific excellence and ensures AZ is considered partner of choice.
- Maintains awareness of the Oncology landscape and competitor science focused on areas of interest to the Oncology iMed to identify new opportunities for review.
- Supports advancement of de-prioritized assets through external collaboration to maximize value.
- Manages multiple competing priorities and has the ability to prioritize workload.
- Supports tracking of iMed externalization activities, including quality, cost and time metrics.
- Advanced degree such as MS, MBA or PhD/MD, scientific preferred
- Demonstrated results-focus and ability to deliver projects through strategic influence, relationship management, negotiation and facilitation.
- Experience in evaluation of products and platforms, including supporting value proposition for investments
- Experience working within collaborative project teams involving external partners.
- Well developed interpersonal, motivational and leadership skills. Experience across multi-cultural, multi-functional teams.
- Excellent organizational and communication (both and written and verbal) skills
- Advanced knowledge of the global drug discovery and development processes
- Awareness of the commercialization and lifecycle management of products
- Ability to travel, including overseas travel
- Strong scientific background in oncology preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation
AstraZeneca - 10 months ago
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals (which does business as AstraZeneca US) can help with a full alphabet of ailments. The company, a subsidiary of...