About Virgin America
Virgin America is a brand new airline dedicated to making flying good again. Virgin America incorporates the Virgin Brand’s world-renowned customer focus and distinctive style, to create a high-value, low-fare airline that’s reinventing domestic flying through award-winning service and innovative amenities.
Are you Virgin enough? Virgin America loves team members with the thirst and creativity to make this the most wowed airline in the sky. In return, we promise to make this a company where inspired people like you will always thrive.
Main Purpose of the Role
Our teammates are very important to us, in fact they're critical. The Director People leads a team of Human Resources Professionals who develop, deliver and support Virgin America’s people practices. The People team consists of Team Member Relations, Recruitment, Compliance and the Drug and Alcohol program. Our people programs are team focused, and we develop and deliver our programs with our Teammates as our top priority. Our goal is to recruit the very best talent we can find who believe in our mission to make flying great again and who want to deliver the best service possible to our guests. Our People philosophy is to treat our Teammates well so that they can deliver that great service.
Main Areas of Responsibility
Professional Experience Required
- Manages a recruitment team which consists of a Recruitment Manager, Recruiters and Recruitment Coordinators
- Responsible for compliance of all state and Federal employment laws, EEOC guidelines & Affirmative Action plans
- Manage the Peer Review Program (alternative dispute resolution program) , maintaining metrics and providing on-going support and development of the program
- Ensure Virgin America’s Anti-Drug & Alcohol Program meets DOT/FAA requirements; oversee the department as well as the Teammate assistance programs ( VATA and VAPA)
- Demonstrated flawless communication skills and experience presenting/facilitating large group presentations and meetings
- Must have excellent relationship building skills
- Experience working with various HRIS, applicant tracking and performance management systems
- Must have worked with the selection, negotiation and management of outside vendors
- Assist with other people related projects as assigned by the SVP People & Inflight
- Bachelor's degree required/ Master’s degree preferred.
- Proven track record of innovation and leadership in the field of Human Resources Management.
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing a Human Resource department/strong leadership ability.
- Must possess solid knowledge across HR disciplines, with emphasis on employee relations, recruitment, compliance training, policy development and implementation, FAA/DOT drug & alcohol programs/ and project management.
- Broad knowledge of all state/federal labor laws, including, but not limited to wage and hour, ADA, HIPAA, FMLA, CFRA, EEOC and Affirmative Action.
- Must be extremely confidential and able to manage sensitive and confidential situations tactfully
- Must have well honed diplomacy skills along with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of, and great interest in, Virgin America's entrepreneurial culture and values
- Travel required.