The State and Local Tax practice of Alvarez & Marsal Taxand is responsible for providing multi-jurisdictional clients with a wide variety of tax consulting and compliance services. A&M’s State and Local Tax professionals focus on the tax implications of organization structure, business transactions, mergers and acquisitions. Our State professionals assist with management of the state tax function, efficient tax compliance, and tax controversy resolution. State and Local Tax professionals work on a diverse range of client projects including, but not limited to, state income and franchise tax refund analysis and planning for business operations and expansions, management and defense of examinations by state and local government authorities, assistance with sales and use and transaction taxes, and consulting on state and local tax ramifications of reorganizations, mergers, and acquisitions, and bankruptcy. Leveraging the experience of our worldwide Taxand network, our professionals advise some of the largest U.S. and non-U.S. multinationals on the state and local tax aspects of a broad array of international structures and transactions.
- Conduct day-to-day management of accounts by delivering all tax consulting services to the client and bringing in specialists, when necessary;
- Assume tax-planning responsibilities for multi-jurisdictional corporate clients, including management of FAS 109 and FIN 48 analyses and state effective tax rate planning;
- Build client relationships and demonstrate knowledge of client business;
- Lead brainstorming and other technical sessions intended to understand a client or prospective client’s state and local tax architecture;
- Conduct research and analysis of a wide range of tax issues related to business transactions and tax implications of financing techniques;
- Draft and assist in the delivery of proposals and other client presentations;
- Supervise and review assignments of Associates and Senior Associates;
- Effectively manage a team of people to deliver a technically and quantitatively correct, well documented work product;
- Develop and motivate staff by providing them with leadership, counseling and career guidance through mentoring and performance feedback;
- Stay abreast of state and local tax developments affecting current and prospective clients; and
- Assist in the development of new business, including marketing of state and local tax services to current and prospective clients.
- 5+ years of public accounting experience in state and local taxation or equivalent gained in working in law firms or industry;
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills;
- Strong academic credentials;
- Possess creative problem solving skills;
- Ability to collaborate with others;
- Strong project management skills necessary;
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to exceed client expectations and deliver quality client service;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or other business related field;
- CPA, Enrolled Agent or other appropriate certification (or in the process of pursuing);
- Advanced degree preferred: MST, Macc, JD or LLM;
- Prior Big Four experience a plus;
- Ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment; and
- Willingness to travel.
It is A&M's policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation in accordance with all applicable laws, directives and regulations of federal, state and city entities.