The Director of College Relations is responsible for oversight of the strategic direction of college relations, including internal and external communications. The Director advises GHC leadership on matters of college communications and develops and implements plans for increasing the college’s visibility to prospective students, alumni, friends and the media. The Director administers and oversees college marketing and communications plans, serves as the first point of contact for the media, and manages crises communications.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field (English, journalism, communications, marketing or the equivalent).
• Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate well to the college president and members of the cabinet, faculty, staff, students, donors, and volunteers.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Sound knowledge of editorial and journalistic principals.
• Proficiency in editing, layout and design and social media tools.
• Exceptional organizational skills.
• Ability to handle confidential information and to exhibit good judgment.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• Develops and manages the Georgia Highlands College public image; develops graphic and copy/style guides; develops creative concepts that support the brand position for advertising campaigns and promotional materials
• Develops news releases, speeches, and copy for a variety of promotional pieces about the college, including newsletters, brochures, posters and web copy
• Develops marketing and crisis communication plans
• Schedules interviews with the news media; acts as spokesperson for the college
• Plans and coordinates events, including ribbon cuttings and other college celebrations
• Arranges and coordinates news conferences
• Manages crisis communications
• Reviews news sources for stories about Georgia Highlands College
• Obtain appropriate premiums for business expos, charity events, and other occasions
• Performs related duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of marketing and branding principles
• Ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
• Knowledge of Associated Press style guidelines
• Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
• Knowledge of crisis communication principles
• Skill in the development of targeted messages for the appropriate medium
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
• Skill in oral and written communication
Please see the below "Institution Employment Link" to view a complete job description, create an application, and apply for the position.
Institution Employment Link:
CIP Discipline Code:
Marketing Administration (Admin code)
Public Relations & Development (Admin code)
Communication Services (Admin code)
Required Qualifications Experience:
The University System of Georgia - 15 months ago