Chartered in 1905, American National Insurance Company has evolved into an industry leader, ranking among the largest of life insurance companies in the United States. Directly and through subsidiaries, the company offers a broad line of insurance products and services, including life insurance, annuities, health insurance, property and casualty, credit insurance, and pension plan services.
For over 100 years, American National Insurance Company has been a leader and innovator in the insurance industry and is one of the most respected and financially sound insurers in the United States. If you are seeking a position with a stable yet growing company and opportunity for career progression, American National is the place to be.
· The Manager of Compensation and Benefits reports directly to the Assistant Vice President of HR and has primary responsibility for participating in the strategic direction and administration of compensation and benefits programs across the enterprise.
· The incumbent in this position will direct Total Compensation, Employee Benefits, and HR benefit systems and provide client business partnering in conjunction with the HR Business Partners and HR Administration teams.
· This is a leadership role that requires a person with a broad HR background to perform a hands-on role at both a strategic and tactical level to assess and anticipate HR-related needs, recommend solutions, and manage shared resources to deliver results.
- The role will work closely with our HR Business Partner team and the Shared Services team as well as with external consultants, vendors and internal partners to ensure that program/plan designs, oversight and governance of our programs meet business objectives and deliver value.
Internally, the incumbent has regular contact with all members of senior management across the Family of Companies regarding strategic benefit and compensation issues to foster an environment of consistency and equity.
Externally, the incumbent has regular contact with consultants such as Mercer, LOMA, TowersWatson, Aon/Hewitt, Hay Group and third party benefit administrators.
He or she will network with the Houston Compensation & Benefits Association, SHRM, and WorldatWork societies.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a robust compensation and benefits role showing progressive responsibility.
• Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) and Certified Benefits Professional (CBP) designations preferred
• PHR or SPHR designation preferred
• Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, ERISA, HIPPA, SECTION 125, Workers Compensation, Medicare, OBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements
• Experience designing and managing benefits programs
• High level of competence in data analysis required.
• Demonstrated experience managing a professional team of analysts
• Demonstrable experience in serving in an “internal consultant” role required.
• Awareness of executive compensation trends and finances preferred
• Strong problem solving and highly developed reasoning skills
• Demonstrated ability to impact and influence others at all levels in the organization and maintain effective relationships with external partners
• Strong network outside organization in the compensation and benefits community.
• Demonstrable experience in project management required.
• Solutions-oriented project management skills including thinking and presenting ideas at a strategic level for input as well as ensuring outcomes are delivered and executed on a tactical level.
• Ability to deliver communication message to different levels within the organization required.
• High competency in working with the entire Microsoft Office suite; Excel mastery is essential.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to meet multiple deadlines in a deadline driven, changing environment
• Ability to manage third party advisers and vendors
American National Family of Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.