Director - Compliance: Personal Savings and Merchant Finance-13004714
This position will be a critical member of the US Banking Compliance Leadership Team. The successful candidate will provide strategic compliance support, guidance and direction in the management of an effective compliance program for Personal Savings and Merchant Finance, with a keen focus on monitoring of platform migration efforts and of succesfully launching a new product line for American Express Bank, FSB. This is a highly visible and strategic position with significant and regular interaction with senior leaders across the company and interaction with Federal banking regulators, as dictated by the Chief Compliance Officer.
Essential Functions: (must be performed with or without accommodations)
* Assist in the provision of ongoing support and thought leadership for Vendor Management and Third Party Lifecycle Management impacting the Banks' successful execution of its affiliate oversight compliance program.
* Assist in the provision of ongoing support and lead efforts for the implementation of other enterprise compliance risk management initiatives (such as developing monitoring and testing strategies with respect to processes, policies and procedures specific to Personal Savings and Merchant Finance.)
*Effectively manage the Bank's Corrective Action process and policy to ensure timely closure of gaps across the Personal Savings and Merchant Finance segments, including the increasing leveraging of technology devices and social media strategies
*Liaise regularly with other control stakeholders, including Independent Compliance Testing (ICT), the Internal Audit Group (IAG), Fair Lending Program Office (FLPO) and other business control functions.
* Assist the Banks in the conduct of examinations with regulators and effectively represent the Personal Savings and Merchant Finance businesses in such compliance regulatory examinations.
* Consult upon, or review as necessary, proposed marketing campaign materials and strategies and provide strategic advice, direction and leadership to ensure effective mitigation of Compliance risks.
* Lead a team of experienced Compliance Managers in overseeing daily Compliance related engagement within Personal Savings and Merchant Finance.
* Continually look for enhancements to the Compliance program pertaining to evolving marketing considerations of identified business units.
* Effectively represent Bank Compliance on various internal commitees to drive improved outcomes for the Bank's and effectively manage Compliance risk.
* Continually assess operational risks across the marketing business units and drive improvements in collaboration with other internal stakeholders.
* Effectively lead various initiatives and projects as a result of examinations on an ongoing basis.
* Strong strategic and tactical leadership skills is a firm requirement in addition to sound judgement and decision making.
* A demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team of skilled individuals will be viewed favorably.
* A strong control mindset is also crucial as is a demonstrated ability to continually drive outcomes.
* The successful candidate will ideally possess strong expertise in applicable laws and regulations pertaining to consumer protection, merchant activities, credit cards, and advertising, as well as the ability to research, assess, interpret and communicate these regulatory requirements effectively.
* Candidates who in addition have a background in operations that have demonstrated an ability to translate regulatory requirements in a practical, seamless, efficient and compliant manner will be viewed favorably.
* The position requires an energetic leader with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, with the ability to also influence senior leaders and peers through collaboration and effective broad organizational skills.
* The ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work in a deadline-intensive environment is required.
* Strong attention to detail and effective written and oral communication skills are required.
* Compliance Certification preferred.
* Expertise in consumer banking laws and regulations, especially as they apply to consumer protection, merchant activities, advertising, deposits, credit and charge card operations.
* Background in Operations that have demonstrated an ability to translate regulatory requirements in a practical, seamless, efficient and compliant manner.
* Compliance certification preferred.
* Excellent presentation skills and effective communication (written and verbal)
* Ability to research, assess, interpret, and communicate these regulatory requirements effectively.
* Strong understanding of bank systems and processes; strong computer knowledge; excellent MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills.
* Excellent leadership and change management skills.
Primary Location: US-Utah-Salt Lake City
American Express - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for...