The Director – Development position is in our LA office. This unique position is responsible for researching and vetting new program ideas and genres for TLC. The Director will also be an idea generator, responsible for proactively coming up with innovative show ideas and creating new programs for in-house development. In this role, the Director will be expected to share ideas and contribute to the strategic vision and direction of the network and will possess a strong creative background as well as excellent writing skills.
Create and conceptualize ideas for new series, specials, and other programming initiatives.
Conduct deep research and develop internally generated programming concepts. Work with entire development team to identify ideas, brainstorm, and develop shows.
Responsible for identifying the latest trends and formats by conducting heavy internet and telephone research.
Review, edit, and approve preliminary and final treatments and outlines.
Ensure information flow and editorial integrity during all phases of development from conception to production.
Adherence to and accountability for all aspects of TLCs budgetary and production standards, as well as contractual and deliverables requirements for programming.
Review scripts and materials submitted from external vendors and work with development team to provide timely feedback as assigned.
Light shooting and in-house editing of casting reels or concept reels.
Strategize with team on new categories for future opportunities.
Coordinate bi-weekly meetings to progress projects.
Serve as a network liaison to represent development.
* At least 7 - 10 years experience in the broadcast industry with experience. Both independent and network experience on successful projects.
* Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas. Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in varying stages.
* Superb creative writing skills. Strong aptitude in Research.
* Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
* Strong knowledge of producing community with established agent relationships.
* Broad knowledge of studio, multi-camera remote and single camera field production and postproduction is essential. Experience in a wide variety of program genres (e.g. entertainment, documentary, reality, drama, informational, etc.).
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred.
* Computer literacy and database aptitude a must, knowledge of Word, Lotus Notes, Excel, and Access preferred.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.