Responsible for coordinating and directing all activities within the department through subordinate supervisors, dietitians and employees. Maintains the highest possible effectiveness of hospital and customer satisfaction, employee relations and retention programs. Achieves departmental financial goals for the hospital. Also ensures all personnel under his/her operational control comply with hospital and government policies and procedures.
- Strategically plans for departmental needs in accordance with hospital goals and objectives.
- Develops and implements departmental policies and procedures and standards of work.
- Supports and carries out the facility polices.
- Ensures systems and standards of integrity are met in all operations.
- Oversees the various aspects of the food preparation process on an ongoing basis in accordance with hospital and Department of Health standards.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with other departments.
- Provides leadership to create and maintain an environment that promotes employee team work and participation.
- Demonstrates continuous quality improvement in all operational areas.
- Prepares, implements and monitors all quality control programs.
- Continuously assesses and improves the department’s performance.
- Promotes employee ownership of work processes.
- Develops, implements and maintains a safe working environment.
- Ensures performance improvement programs (i.e., patient satisfaction) are implemented and adhered to.
- Leads and actively participates in orientation, in-services training and continuing education of person in the department.
- Ensures cross-functional skills training and development needs of all employees are met.
- Assesses the number of qualified and competent staff needed to provide quality service.
- Selects and hires competent staff.
- Develops and monitors the annual budget for the department:
- Analyzes progress towards budgeted food costs.
- Makes recommendations to management for the next fiscal year, including suggestions on capital expenditures.
- Uses appropriate guidelines when pricing menu items to meet budgeted food cost.
- Ensures budgeted profit is met by controlling costs within his/her department.
- Ensures the level of food service meets/exceeds customers’ expectations.
- Selects outside vendors for needed services and maintains good working relationships.
- Oversees day-to-day staffing and scheduling of employees, including planning, approving and communicating schedules.
- Evaluates staff competency via a peer review process.
- Monitors employee performance on a regular basis to ensure quality standards are met.
- Reviews and approves employee evaluation(s) in a timely manner per company policy.
- Determines changes in supplies, equipment or procedures to improve safety and patient care or to reduce cost.
- Ensures all Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, American Disability Act and Fair Labor Standards requirements are met and maintained.
- Responds to issues of harassment and discrimination per company policy.
- Education: Bachelor degree (food and nutrition major preferred) or equivalent professional-level experience required.
- Licensure/Certification: None required. Dietary Manager Certification preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of five years foods, nutrition or food service administration experience in a hospital or healthcare setting required. Minimum of three years supervisory/management experience required.
Arkansas Heart Hospital - 20 months ago