Under the direction of the Regional HIM Director, the HIM "Leader" is responsible for managing, coordinating and performing the day-to-day operations and workflow of the facility based HIM operations. Assists the Regional HIM Director with the oversight and implementation of facility related HIM Service Center (HSC) operational planning, service level agreements, budgets, workflow processes and internal controls. The HIM Director/HIM Manager actively participates in the facility based unbilled management process and resolution of issues contributing to unbilled accounts. This person serves as a promoter of the HSC and is the on-site "face" of the HSC.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Responsible for managing facility based HIM operations and staff, including but not limited to, record pick up and reconciliation, release of information request processing and hardcopy retrieval of medical records, and tumor registry, trauma registry, processing of birth certificate/paternity papers as applicable
• Routinely assists in the performance of facility based HIM operations, including but not limited to, ad hoc record pick up and reconciliation, release of information request processing and hardcopy retrieval of medical records as needed
• Performs facility unbilled activities to include: physician query follow up, physician incomplete record follow up, collaboration with facility department leaders in monitoring and working unbilled reports, working the applicable HPF queues, working the applicable unbilled management reports and queues (e.g., DET, Bill 49) and management of HIM operations unbilled processes.
• Works all facility HIM responsible HPF workflow queues (includes, but is not limited to, the Facility HIM Department Queue, all Coding Pend for Queues, Review Queues, Unknown Document Queue, Cancelled Accounts Queue and all Wait for Queues) according to established workflow guidelines and schedules.
• Works collaboratively with Medical Staff and Facility Leadership to comply with standards and guidelines enforced through the Medical Staff Bylaws/Rules and Regulations, (e.g., suspension of privileges) and is responsible for facilitation and execution of physician notification processes regarding medical record documentation deficiency, delinquency and suspension
• Provides HPF record completion and medical record viewing training and education to medical staff members
• Provides medical record viewing training and education to other clinical and ancillary personnel
Assists the Regional HIM Director in the development of strategy, specific goals, objectives, budgets and performance standards relative to the facility HIM operations
• Assists in identifying and implementing process improvements to lower costs and improve service to facility and SSC customers
• Coordinates training and education of facility based HSC staff
• Responsible for implementation of standardized policies and procedures, tools, resources, and educational materials
Undergraduate degree required, strongly prefer a Health Information Management degree.
A minimum of one year of HIM department experience is preferred, three or more years is strongly preferred
A minimum of one year healthcare management experience is strongly preferred
RHIA or RHIT strongly preferred