s Central Division has an exciting opportunity for a talented Director of Business Development to join our Education Services team in St. Louis, MO. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of success with experience in the construction, design, engineering, or facilities management industries. This candidate will have input into identifying and researching construction opportunities, and will guide plans to develop and implement a strategy to pursue and win work. Identify, understand, qualify, track and prioritize pursuit opportunities, assemble pursuit teams, develop market strategies and lead McCarthy’s pursuit process. Ultimately responsible for the development of the business/sales relationship with potential clients and allies. Accountable to meet or exceed sales targets in the education market sector which includes Higher Education and K-12.
Developing Business Development Plan
• Develop annual business development plan for Education market sector that meet the overall business goals and update the plan on a regular basis to reflect progress and market changes.
• Work with senior management to integrate plan as part of the Division’s Business Plan.
Prospecting/Networking to Generate Leads
• Establish initial contact at owner level in potential customer organizations and take ownership of interaction with prospects to identify expectations/needs and project opportunities.
• Establish and expand relationships within the education market sector in order to stay up to date on trends and be informed of opportunities prior to becoming public knowledge, and strategically position McCarthy for responding to RFQs/RFPs.
• Manage networking strategy for all clients and leverage McCarthy partners (Directors, Project Managers, etc.) to develop relationships at appropriate levels for clients with future needs.
Leveraging and Teaming within McCarthy
• Collaborate with other groups within company to implement appropriate strategies to address business opportunities and overcome obstacles.
• Fully participate in Business Development department meetings to share best practice, review performance against targets, and conduct informal training.
Managing and Forecasting Sales Pipeline
• Qualify potential opportunities early in the sales cycle and manage the pipeline in market sectors to ensure that opportunities are pursued in a timely way, across various stages of the sales cycle and that sales expectations are met.
• Ensure that realistic sales forecasts are provided to Division Leadership and that they are kept aware of any significant changes or developments.
• BA/BS degree and 10 years of experience within relevant industries.
• Established base of education clients and consultant contacts throughout the Midwest and East Coast including KY, IN, IL, OH, and VA.
• Proactive and execution-oriented in approach to business development. Must have a thorough knowledge of business development process.
• Demonstrated collaborative team leadership and team building characteristics.
• Ability to influence at senior levels in organizations (peers, customers, partners and within and outside of the company).
• Solid knowledge of construction delivery methods and the construction process.
• Strong relationships at the executive level within the education market sector.
• Strong business acumen (financially and operationally).
• Track record of success in winning business in challenging markets.
• Ability to build and maintain trust-based relationships with clients
• Excellent communication skills; good listener.
McCarthy - 2 years ago