s Central Division has an exciting opportunity for a Director of Business Development for our Federal Business Unit. The Central Division Federal Business Unit provides services to federal clients primarily in the Midwestern and Northeastern United States and for key federal clients, and works with other McCarthy Divisions throughout the Continental United States. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of success in researching and developing business in the federal market, in identifying project opportunities, in implementing win strategies to pursue and win work, and in working with the senior leadership of McCarthy to further develop McCarthy’s federal business.
• Identify and create market strategy that best positions McCarthy for federal work, aligning with McCarthy’s Business Goals.
• Update market strategy and reposition McCarthy as the market changes.
• Develop, maintain and expand relationships with current and future clients, architects, consultants and other business and community organizations.
• Develop and maintain a strong industry involvement that is directly beneficial to McCarthy.
Business Development Plan
• Create annual business development plan for federal market sector that meets the overall business goals and update the plan on a regular basis to reflect progress and market changes.
• Work with senior leadership to integrate the plan as part of the Division’s overall Business Plan.
Leveraging and Teaming within McCarthy
• Collaborate with other groups within McCarthy to implement appropriate strategies to address business opportunities and overcome obstacles.
• Fully participate in Business Development department meetings to share best practice, review performance against targets, and conduct informal training.
Forecasting and Achieving Sales
• Ensure that realistic sales forecasts are provided to Division Leadership and that Leadership is kept aware of any significant changes or developments. Initiate client follow up on current projects and new leads.
• Qualify potential opportunities early in the sales cycle and manage the pipeline in market sectors to ensure that opportunities are pursued in a timely way, across various stages of the sales cycle and that sales expectations are met.
• Develop winning strategies and direct the assembly of proposals and presentations, coordinating all personnel, graphics and other requirements as needed; including developing written material as may be needed.
• BA/BS degree and 10 years of experience within relevant industries.
• Track record of success in winning business in challenging markets.
• Ability to influence at senior levels in industry (peers, customers, partners - within and outside of the company).
• Experience working with federal agencies in design/construction related field.
• Strong business acumen, financially and operationally, ability to execute at all levels within an organization.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate business opportunities and develop winning strategies to secure new and repeat business.
• Proactive and execution-orientated ability to develop business from pursuit through proposal and preconstruction.
• Excellent written and oral communication, organizational and presentation skills.
• Strong computer skills. Experience working with business development databases a plus.
• Solid knowledge of construction delivery methods and the construction process.
• Self-starter, demonstrated collaborative team leadership and team building characteristics.
• Excellent communication skills; good listener.
McCarthy - 18 months ago