Burbank First United Methodist Church
Job Title: Director of Children's' Spiritual Formation
Hours: 20 hours/week
Classification: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Senior Pastor
The Director of Children's Spiritual Formation is responsible for developing and supporting a comprehensive ministry to guide and nurture the spiritual formation of children from birth through fifth grade. While programming and special events for children and families is an important and traditional part of our church's ministry, the most important element for achieving our intention is strong Sunday School classes.
Children's ministry is more than programs; it's very dependent on relationships. It has to be fun or kids won't attend or will attend unwillingly. Yet highly relational fun programs that attract a lot of children do not necessarily result in the intended spiritual formation. The Director of Children's Spiritual Formation is the key leader in guiding and shaping children's formation and needs to be in sync with the senior pastor's goals and direction and work well with other staff members who have similar responsibilities for other age groups.
- At least two years teaching experience in a church volunteer or staff position.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited or approved university, preferably in the field of education or related field.
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel and Outlook with a willingness to train in new and other programs as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with parishioners, parents, co-workers, children, youth and visitors in a pleasant and professional manner.
Christian Education, Worship, and Service
- Lead a Sunday School program for children in preschool through 5th grade
- Select theologically sound curriculum reflecting a Wesleyan tradition
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteer Sunday School staff
- Recruit, train and coordinate youth acolytes
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteer staff for Vacation Bible School (one week in summer)
- Design and lead the annual Children's Sunday worship service
- Engage children in service and mission projects
- Design and execute a children's Christmas story experience
- Maintain rosters and contact information on all students, staff, parents and volunteers
- Collect permission, release, and medical forms signed by parents for every student who participates in family ministry programs
- Inform parents in writing about all family events and activities
- Attend monthly staff meetings and an annual staff retreat
- Attend and report on family ministry to the Church Council (meets bi-monthly)
- Calendar family ministry events with the senior pastor and other church staff
- Ensure compliance with the Safe Sanctuaries policy (child abuse prevention)
- Screen and train all paid and volunteer staff according to the child abuse prevention policy
- Schedule and lead the Safe Sanctuaries annual training
- Coordinate education building facility use, maintenance and supplies
- Design and coordinate a variety of community outreach programs
- Coordinate class schedules, registration, fees, facility use and promotions
- Provide supervision as needed and manage time sheets for all outreach instructors
- Recruit, train, and coordinate adult child care providers for worship and church related events
- Recruit, train, and coordinate school age and youth child care providers in the baby-sitter club
- Ensure a welcoming, clean and age-appropriate nursery environment
- Provide supervision and mange time sheets for all children care providers
Program and Events
- Establish personal relationships with each family in the program
- Be attentive to families with pastoral needs and report these to one of the pastors
- Identify opportunities for the church to support families in Christian formation
- Be an active part of the social life of the congregation and encourage students to do the same
- Coordinate fellowship opportunities for families
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteer staff to support fellowship activities and annual events, including, but not limited to, Family Camp, Halloween Carnival and annual Christmas Party
The United Methodist Church - 2 years ago
The United Methodist Church was formed in 1968 when The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren Church united. Today, The...