Join the nation's premier human relations/civil rights organization. We have a mission to fight anti-Semitism and hate, and to secure justice and fair treatment for all. ADL is looking for talented, passionate people who want to make a difference today…and tomorrow!
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Based in Austin, the Director of Development will develop, implement and evaluate regional fundraising programs to successfully meet annual, designated and endowment goals established in collaboration with the Regional Director and approved by the National Development Office. Identify and cultivate donors and implement targeted solicitation strategies designed to increase the donor base and close gifts. Plan and oversee the implementation of fundraising events and special programs tailored to local target populations and in support of ADL initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Plan, organize and manage the annual fundraising campaign in collaboration with the Regional Director and National Development Office. Write the regional Development Plan and create the Development budget. Monitor effectiveness of regional fundraising efforts and evaluate programs.
• Organize and implement fundraising events, either directly or through subordinate staff, including corporate and professional dinners, parlor meetings and special events.
• Identify, cultivate, build and solidify relationships with new and established contributors.
Analyze historic patterns of giving and develop strategies to encourage new gifts and identify new sources of revenue, as well as increase current contributions. Directly solicit and close gifts from major prospects and maintain relationships through mail, phone or in-person contacts.
Oversee direct mail campaigns. Solicit grants as appropriate.
• Oversee the administrative support for regional development including ensuring that donor acknowledgements are completed and appropriate records, prospect lists and mailing lists are maintained.
• Recruit lay leaders for development committees and provide mentoring and staff support to these committees.
• Write speeches, press releases and promotional materials for fundraising events. Initiate and respond to media contacts to promote an awareness of ADL fundraising events and honorees.
• Participate in programmatic events to define and enhance fundraising potential.
• Cultivate and maintain community relationships and community outreach. Identify potential speakers and may establish a speaker's bureau.
• Recruit, motivate and supervise subordinate development staff.
• Contribute to regional management by participating in overall regional office planning and goal setting.
• Maintain and expand corporate partnership program based on direct solicitation.
• Participate in special assignments or projects as representative at the National level.
• Participate in development-related functions such as marketing, design/preparation of print materials, event logistics, and post-event follow up based on individual skills and office needs.
• Bachelor's degree, plus additional related college courses or professional training.
• Five to seven years of community fundraising experience in a volunteer environment.
• Experience in direct solicitation and closing gifts.
• Event planning experience.
• Strong organizational, management and administrative skills including the ability to multi-task.
• Proven ability to solicit and close financial agreements with donors is essential.
• Sound understanding of financial reports and budgeting.
• Strong knowledge of the local community preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication, and presentation skills.
• Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, and database management software.
• Ability to effectively speak with corporate leaders.
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends is necessary to represent ADL and attend community
• Frequent travel within the region is required. Occasional overnight travel may be required.