The Director of Development - Athletics will cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of major gift ($50K+) prospects for the Rice Athletics Department and gifts of (10k+) for Owl Club. The incumbent will be accountable for achieving an annual fundraising goal as set by the Senior Executive Athletic Director and/or Director of Athletics.
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Professional work experience in any combination of the following areas:
- Experience in major gift fundraising.
- Collegiate athletic experience in an external revenue generating function (development, marketing & promotions, ticket sales, sponsorships, etc.).
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Must possess (or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license with no more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past 36 months, and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.
Other Skills Required
- Must have a general understanding of gift planning.
- Must have good computer skills, preferably using PC compatible equipment in a Windows environment.
- Must have strong interpersonal, speaking, and writing skills, especially in preparing effective fundraising proposals; ability to relate well to, and understand the needs and interests of, major individual donors and foundation program directors; ability to relate to, and develop excellent working relations with, donors and senior academic leaders.
- Must be able to continually interact with donors and prospects in day-to-day activities.
- Must be a positive team player exhibiting respect, friendliness, and concern at all times.
Professional fundraising experience for an athletics program at an institution of higher education.
Other Skills Preferred
Knowledge of fundraising database software.
Must be able to set up rooms for events on a fairly regular basis; for example, once a week during football season for the Extra Point Dinner.
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards)
May occasionally travel out of town during football season and baseball season (may go out of town for one game a month). Share office with fellow athletics fundraiser. Often attends outdoor events as well as indoor events. Various outdoor sports depends on the schedule could be two or three times a week. Frequent off- campus outings to visit with donors. Conduct follow up meetings at least once a month.
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Job Posting Category
Eligible for Overtime
Regular business hours. Occasionally work on weekends and evenings.
Eligible for Shift Differential
Not Shift Differential Eligible
Rice University - 6 months ago