The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) seeks a Director of Employment Services for the central Human Resources Office. This position is responsible for directing all the activities of the Employment Services functions for the University of Illinois at Chicago. The Director of Employment Services will oversee and manage the UIC civil service hiring process and temporary services activities to ensure adequate organizational staffing on campus.
The incumbent will be responsible for activities that include policy making, rule interpretation, recruitment of temporary and permanent civil service employees, and applicant pre-employment testing. The position also has supervisory responsibility for
professional, technical and clerical staff.
Strategic Planning and Goal Setting
- Ensure that processes are in place for the effective handling of personnel actions including appointments,transfers, promotions, and reduction-in-force endeavors.
- Oversee all aspects of the daily operation of civil service employment, including sourcing, assessing, testing,referral, hiring and placement services.
- Supervise and participate in the resolution of problems reported by employees, campus units and general public related to civil service hiring activities.
- Manage recruitment activities for civil service positions including processing vacancy request forms, advertising,reviewing, processing applications, administering and grading examinations.
- Design and develop management tools to assist campus units in the civil service hiring process.
- Establish and oversee employment protocols for Medical Center hiring.
- Direct the civil service testing function.
- Oversee the administration of applicant hire processes and documentation including registry and payroll data entry, requisition processing, background checks, new hire paperwork and other staffing activities.
- Establish and oversee database systems designed to measure and monitor recruitment and employment activities (e.g. applicant tracking, activity reports, and performance metrics) for reporting purposes.
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors,outside employment agencies and recruiters to facilitate placement of candidates.
- Establish partnerships with new recruitment sources.
- Oversee the development of new recruitment literature, the revision of existing forms and the creation of new documents needed to enhance customer service delivery.
- Lead the effort to collect data and materials needed in support of the State Universities Civil Service System bi-annual audit. Maintain and provide appropriate records as needed to supplement civil service auditor requests.
- Provide analysis, investigations and special reports to the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources.
- Collaborate with management to determine and understand workforce needs; develop recruiting strategies and programs.
- Counsel and advise managers and employees, respond to questions and problems, and troubleshoot issues.
- Recommend, update and implement best in practice civil service hiring protocols for the campus.
- Collaborate with campus staff to ensure compliance with the State Universities Civil Service System rules and regulations.
- Consult with and advise deans, directors and department leaders regarding recruitment strategies.
- Provide, in conjunction with the Director of Organizational Effectiveness, civil service hiring related training for supervisors, managers and campus leadership.
- Work with colleges, business units and campus leadership in developing recruitment strategies to help address diversity goals and objectives.
- Monitor actual performance against budget for the Unit’s consolidated annual budget plan.
Policy and Procedure Development
- Accountable for the development of policies and/or strategies affecting department’s compliance with Federal, and State (e.g. State Universities Civil Service System) statutes and rules.
- Work closely with the State Universities Civil Service System office to establish campus policies and procedures essential to the proper administration of the UIC civil service hiring process
- Plan, assign and review work of staff to ensure that team objectives are met.
- Hire, train, develop and manage staff to ensure that staff is qualified to meet group objectives.
A Bachelor’s Degree in human resources, business administration, public administration, or a related field is required, Master’s Degree is preferred. Minimum of five years of supervisory experience is required. Experience working in a civil service system or public institution is highly desired. The candidate will have demonstrated experience leading/working with teams involving recruitment and staffing activities as well as a proven ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The ideal candidate will be able to foster a strong sense of team and partnership and motivate staff toward goals. Strong communication, customer service and organizational skills are essential as well as knowledge of human resource management philosophies and practices. Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification is
The UIC is an AA/EOE.
Back to Job Board
University of Illinois at Chicago - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard