UALR Functional Title
Director of Energy Management Services / R97267
Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor, this position is responsible for continued development and management of the University’s strategic energy plan, with a focus on campus energy usage including cost and sustainability. This position is an expert resource for recommending energy reduction strategies including but not limited to lighting, HVAC , and BAS system changes. The position will interact closely with energy consultants as well as providing energy usage forecasts for campus and will assist with all aspects of the University’s energy program including procurement, trending, demand response programs, and general reduction of energy use. The position supervises two engineers, (1 mechanical and 1 electrical) as well as several BAS / HVAC technicians. The incumbent will play a critical role in the design and construction of the University
- ’s $30M energy conservation and power generation project.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Develop and manage multi-campus strategic energy plan.
Manage energy monitoring systems and metering for the University’s $6M utility budget; collaborates closely with other Facilities departments, units, and management levels.
- Develop strategies to maximize energy efficiency, reduce consumption and reduce carbon emissions.
- Make project recommendations based on metered data and other industry best practices to reduce the University’s energy usage. Develop technical project scope.
- Produce monthly university energy reports including benchmarking building- and university- performance against national and peer standards.
- Produce economic analysis of various energy initiatives.
- Develop energy reporting tools.
- Participate in design reviews for new construction and renovations; ensure that projects are reviewed for energy efficiency and that value engineering decisions accurately account for the life cycle impacts of decisions.
- Responsible for retro-commissioning projects.
- Interfaces with campus community on energy related projects.
- Conduct and/or procure energy audits with vendors and/or maintenance personnel.
- Identify energy investment opportunities across campus.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge and experience with BAS / EMS and other systems.
- Ability to supervise and train assigned staff including organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
- Experience working within a facilities management environment with an understanding of organizational structure, workflow and operating procedures.
- Familiarity with life safety and applicable federal, state, county and municipal building codes, construction, building, and maintenance codes.
- Effective communication (both verbal and written) skills.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to exercise sound independent judgment.
- Ability to make objective and ethical decisions in a multi-cultural climate.
- Ability to manage and impart information to a wide¬ range of clientele.
- Extensive background and work-related experience in the use of computerized technology with various related software packages for this work climate.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications and apply to design and construction of facilities projects.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work a flexible shift, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Required Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering and five years experience in HVAC / BAS system design and operation is required.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Experience working in a College or University environment.
Experience working in a Physical Plant, Facilities Management or similar environment; experience supervising a small engineering staff; an MBA or similar graduate degree; and Registered/licensed professional engineer and/or Certified Energy Manager is preferred.
Background Check Requirements
01 - Criminal/Financial
Certified Energy Manager
Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds: Occasionally, Kneeling: Occasionally, Crawling: Occasionally, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Frequently, Lifting 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 5-10 lbs: Occasionally, Pushing/pulling 5-10 lbs: Occasionally, Sitting for long periods of time: Frequently, Standing for long periods of time: Occasionally, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Short Distances: Frequently, Walking - Moderate Distances; Occasionally, Walking - Long Distances; Occasionally
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors, Extreme cold - Temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour, Extreme heat - Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour, Sufficient noise to cause applicant to shout in order to be heard, Exposure to vibrating movements of the extremities or whole body, Hazards - definite risk of bodily injury, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, etc., Conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin, such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
University of Arkansas at Little Rock - 5 months ago