Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels and resorts. Mandarin Oriental now operates, or has under development, over 11,000 rooms in 27 countries with 18 hotels in Asia, 13 in The Americas, and 12 in Europe and Middle East. In addition, the Group operates, or has under development, 14 Residences at Mandarin Oriental connected to its properties.
This position is located in our newest property addition in The Americas. Formerly known as The Mansion on Peachtree, the Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, luxury hotel comprises 127 spacious guestrooms and suites, providing guests with unparalleled views of the city. Facilities include an all-day dining restaurant and lounge bar, as well as a wide selection of meeting rooms, including a 130-seat ballroom. The extensive spa facilities are complete with 14 treatment rooms and will feature signature therapies for which Mandarin Oriental spas are renowned.
Director of Food and Beverage
It is the mission and intent of this position that the incumbent will take full responsibility of all aspects of the Food & Beverage operation, budgeting, maintenance of quality standards, training, development and reviews of all colleagues.
The Director of Food & Beverage will report directly to the General Manager
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
- Work within the guidelines of the budget to ensure that we maximize all of our available resources and operate within the budget.
- To work with the Hotel HR team to ensure the recruitment of the best possible talent available at the appropriate time. It is essential the that the Director of Food and Beverage spend time and personal attention in ensuring the culture seeding of each and every member of the team in order for them to imbibe and embrace the MOHG people's philosophy and our Legendary Quality Experiences (LQE).
- Establish standards of performance and job descriptions for all food and beverage colleagues.
- To set up and maintain all SOP's and best practices that are required for a top quality Food and Beverage Division that offers the finest experiences for guests, clients and colleagues alike.
- Ensure training programs for all operations and LQE standards are in place and tracked.
- Establish and implement the Safe and Sound procedures as per the MOHG Safe and Sound Manual. The F&B Director must ensure that HACCP requirements are implemented and adhered to throughout the F&B operation.
- Provide all information required completing emergency plans and business continuity plans.
- Ensures that the hotel F&B Operations conforms to all local state and federal codes and regulations.
- Work with the IT team to plan, implement or uphold all F&B related systems including but not limited to Infogenesis and HotSOS. Responsibility will be taken for the customization and training of all such systems.
- As a member of the team there is an immense responsibility to be a mentor and role model in ensuring the culture seeding of all colleagues in the department.
- Set up standards for Labour Cost Management and ensure that they are followed.
- Set up evaluation and recognition programs for colleagues.
- Build relationship with local University Food and Beverage programs.
- Take full ownership of the budget and marketing plans going forward.
- To co-ordinate efforts effectively with the Corporate F&B Division.
- Must endeavour at all times to foster strong relationships with the owners and manage owner relations effectively.
- Coordinate the organization and administrative functions in all areas of the F&B Division. Ensure that all F&B reports and data are submitted on time to the relevant corporate and hotel offices.
- Ensure total compliance with standards of operation and LQE standards of service at all times throughout division.
- Ensure that staffing is maintained at an appropriate level to match business demand.
- Participate in all regular and ad hoc operational meetings as required.
- Participate in the formulation of strategic business plans for the hotel.
- Establish monthly reporting system to monitor; Key Performance Indicators, operational expenses, project updates, LQE activities and other related tasks.
- Handles all guest complaints expeditiously to complete resolution.
- Manage projects and any other reasonable duties as required by hotel management.
- Oversee F&B candidate selection and staffing.
- Oversee staff performance of all F&B colleagues.
- Develop middle management through coaching within the F&B Division.
- Ensure that the appraisal and succession planning systems and deadlines are utilised and adhered to.
- Complete ownership for the ongoing training requirements in the division.
- Ensure that disciplinary procedures are undertaken fairly and in accordance to hotel policies.
- Closely monitors on a daily, weekly and monthly basis the financial performance of all outlets providing solutions to improve problem areas and assisting in implementing corrective measures.
- Contributes to the hotel's overall financial performance.
- Participates in the preparation of the annual budget and marketing plan, taking ownership for the F&B Division sections.
- Preparation of F&B Annual CAPEX plan and management of CAPEX projects and expenditure.
- Provides monthly forecast of all F&B revenues and expenses for the next three months.
- Ensure operations meet all Jardine Audit requirements.
- Maintenance and programming of all F&B Systems.
- Work with the IT department to ensure that all hardware is operational and updated.
- Annual maintenance of the contingency systems that support IT&T equipment and systems.
- Research innovative new technology solutions in the F&B field.
- Participates in public relations activities, sales calls or other promotional activities designed at enhancing the image and profitability of the food and beverage department of the hotel.
- Works with Sales and Public Relations to manage the roll out of the annual promotional schedule and to create additional programs or promotions to improve the profitability and image of the food and beverage operation.
- Monitors and analyzes the competitor operations in order to assess their activities and trends and to ensure that we keep getting better to keep us the best.
- Review and analyze market trends globally and locally in order to keep up to date in our own operation.
- Work closely with Director of Engineering to oversee maintenance of all F&B areas as required.
- To ensure that the safety levels required in the pool operation are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure that all services offered to the Residences are delivered.
- Ensure that strong relationships are built with the Residential Owners to maximize their use of hotel outlets and services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Professional and appropriate business appearance and presentation
- 3-5 years experience in a comparable position in a luxury hotel operation.
- Hospitality Management related degree.
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of F&B Operations, including Restaurant and Bar management, Banqueting, In Room Dining, Culinary and Stewarding
- Flexible work hours to meet the demands of a 24 hour operation
- Must be highly numerate and able to work comprehensively with spreadsheets and budgeting packages.
- Possess excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Quality driven with a passion for excellence in guest service and satisfaction
- Approachable, open minded and fair
- Must be able to work in a team and independently on occasions.
- Ability to lift up to 20lbs
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Prior hotel experience is highly desirable.
- Experience with Info-genesis.
- Experience managing a luxury poolside environment.
- HACCP certification or equivalent is highly desirable
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software
- Retail experience
- Experience and expertise in developing and writing training materials
- Expertise in trainer skills up to Hotel L&D Manager level
- Capable of running mid to senior level management programmes
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Preferably hotel experience at a management level, including an operational role - however not essential.
- Prior experience in a renovation or pre-opening luxury environment
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.