POSITION: Director of Operational Excellence/Steel
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Operations/Steel
LOCATION: Houston, TX
A global manufacturer of steel utility structures used
in the electrical transmission industry has an immediate
opening for a Director of Operational Excellence at its
offices in Houston, TX. Reporting to the Vice President
of Operations for the company’s steel structures
division, the Director of Operational Excellence will be
responsible for leading efforts of continuous
improvement projects from design to execution. The
Director of Operational Excellence also will have
primary responsibility for prioritizing, planning and
executing Kaizen events and capital projects through
Lean/Six Sigma analyses and tools.
- Design, execute, and lead highly complex multi-year
/ multi-discipline / best practice strategic
- Ensure ongoing success of process improvement
initiatives by developing policies, procedures and
- Develop and implement detailed project plans, track
deliverables, allocate resources and evaluate
- Organize, lead and manage cross-functional teams and
drive operational excellence results through people,
innovation and the use of technology.
- Partner with IT as the primary strategic architect
of process-oriented field support systems.
- Oversee design and development of operation toolkits
to help manage the business.
- Coach and collaborate with business leaders and team
members to apply and share a common vision for
excellence processes and technologies.
- Promote local acceptance and compliance with change
management processes by developing and executing
broad based implementation and communication plans.
- Direct efforts and objectives to include balancing
work force optimization, quality, timeliness and
customer service objectives.
- Provide leadership that fully aligns with
operational senior leadership, operational support
teams and other departments to meet strategic
objectives, which include consistency, efficiency,
and increased customer satisfaction.
- Assess business needs, develop business case/ROI,
and oversee project plan, implementation plans and
- Measure process innovation success by gathering data
and reporting on key performance indicators.
- Analyze and interpret data and makes recommendations
to Plant Management and Staff Teams.
- Make presentations to field and Staff Team
championing process innovation projects, initiatives
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, operations
research, business, economics or equivalent
experience; MBA preferred.
- Five to 10 years of experience in operational
leadership. Preferred: Five to 10 years of
industrial process engineering/optimization
experience, and three to five years of management
- Leadership experience of large, complex,
- Flexibility to travel extensively, as required.
- Proficient with MS Office – PowerPoint, Excel, Word.
- Complex business analysis skills using Excel or a
- Experience in multiple operating departments or
supporting functions or similar experience.
- Leadership experience in lean, Process Excellence,
Six-Sigma, Quality, 5S, or change management
- Certified Black Belt.
- Value stream mapping experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change in a
- Demonstrated ability to train and coach others.
Base salary of $120,000, or higher depending on
qualifications and experience, plus performance bonus up
to 20 percent. Relocation assistance provided.