The Director of Operations directs and implements the span of operations associated with supply chain and resource management for the purpose of attaining customer satisfaction and the objectives set forth by the Area Leader and Ascension Health Supply Chain. Assures that the Health Ministry is provided with consistent, high quality, and cost-effective operations with respect to procurement, purchasing, inventory, warehouse operations, receiving, and supply distribution functions. Develops, implements, and monitors goals, policies, and procedures. Assists in the preparation of long and short-term goals and objectives for supplies and services requirements in coordination with the Health Ministry and System Office operational initiatives. Serves as the in-house consultant for operational functions. Develops and provides metrics to all members of the ministry to document performance and effectiveness of the operations associated with supply chain. Carries out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization and Health Ministry core values, applicable policies, procedures, and civil laws, the Corporate Responsibility Program, and adheres to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
• Administers and oversees operational activities resulting in annual hospital-wide expenses
• Ensures coordination and implementation of all supply contracts with Ascension Health Supply Chain
• Supervises operational direct reports, provides a format for growth and development of supervisors and oversees all activities of hospital operations staff.
• Oversees management of all materials management processes
Manages the operational functions, specifically focused on the following:
Exercises responsible stewardship of finance and human resources.
- Manages compliance with Ascension Health operational processes and initiatives.
- Monitors and reports monthly on operational progress using Ascension Health (as well as Health Ministry specific) metrics.
- Provides for minimal inventory levels while maintaining maximum scope of product category inclusion with dual focus on Main Store Room and Operating Room. Assures that asset levels are monitored, measured, and reported annually.
- Manages all materials handling processes throughout the hospital, ensuring consistent provision of Nursing, Surgery, Ancillary department, and all other clinical and non-clinical departments with agreed upon levels of supply inventories and that all products are of acceptable quality.
- Manages operational performance and maintains adherence to established budget guidelines for respective departments.
- Directs support managers and oversees the professional growth and development of all direct reports. Actively manages staff personnel and assures that each is treated with respect and fairness and that each is provided with tools and knowledge to perform their duties.
- Serves as a collaborator of each hospital’s Decision Team and/or other committees as required. Assist all customers in obtaining supplier, product and pricing information.
- Develops and administers capital, salary and non-salary budgets for assigned areas. Maintains account within or below budgets. Monitors work processes and initiates improvement based upon data measures and continuous improvement.
Supports quality service through proper organization, staffing, resource utilization and work allocation within the department.
- Acts as a supporting resource to Finance, for all supply, service, and capital expense related needs.
- Measures and reports operational metrics on departmental/ministry levels and participates in benchmarking on a regional and national level.
- Prepares and submits budgets on all materials management cost centers in a timely manner and in accordance with instructions from the budget office.
- Operates department operated within budget parameters consistent with volume variances.
- Justifies budget variances as necessary.
- Uses overtime prudently and monitors as required.
- Monitors and adjusts supply costs, staff mix and productivity to achieve optimum use of resources.
- Mandatory inservices attended by staff.
Achieves and maintains professional development and competence in the field of management.
- Proper training and training materials and written policies and procedures are provided to all new associates. Follow up training and education is conducted at least annually.
- Departments staffed with qualified associates with appropriate mix of skills to assure quality service standards.
- Work structured to accomplish quality service objectives.
- Tasks delegated to efficiently get the job done while maintaining quality of service.
- Procedures established to monitor processes, tasks, or job activities and responsibilities of subordinates.
- Supplies and equipment for associates to complete their job are provided within the control of the director.
- Patient safety goals are monitored with corrective action implemented when indicated.
- Performance improvement activities are developed to monitor, evaluate and promote improvements in the quality of services provided by the department.
Provides effective leadership for Operations staff.
- Core competency in primary area directed/managed is current in order to maintain a level of expertise to evaluate associates.
- Generally accepted management principles understood and practiced in a manner that reflects respect.
- Current knowledge of management techniques and their applications in the health care field maintained through the use of professional and trade journals, newsletters, etc.
- Internally and externally offered educational and training programs successfully completed in order to serve as a role model in professional development. Active membership in professional association maintained.
- Creates an environment of teamwork and encourages creativity in a culture of continuous change.
- Meets weekly with staff to stay informed of issues and concerns and ensure goals and objectives are progressing according to plan. Coaches, motivates and provides feedback, guidance and support in both technical and human resources matters.
- Holds monthly staff meetings and participates in the meetings by keeping staff informed of Health System news. Provides a forum for staff to raise issues and concerns. Ensures issues are addressed timely and appropriately.
- Works with operations team to continuously improve and update skills by establishing an annual development plan tailored to each member’s specific needs.
- Continuously improves and updates own leadership and professional skills by working with Management Development and Controller to establish an annual development plan.
Maintains a high performance work environment characterized by quality performance, positive relationships, and a strong team orientation.
Retains staff through personal leadership.
- Operational policies and procedures are developed, maintained, and staff education held.
- Annual operational / supply chain / resource management goals and objectives supporting the Ministry, Regional, and National goals and objectives are identified, carried out, and communicated.
- Rounding with purpose and objectives are carried out to all internal and external customers to ensure a complete understanding of needs and expectations, and to ensure these needs are met.
- Associates are involved in decision-making whenever possible.
- Open communication of changes or events impacting associates is timely shared.
- Department meetings with associates are held on a regular basis.
- Communications are timely, clear, and accurate.
Provides support for career development for associates.
- Director carries out and reinforces Health Ministry core values and mission.
- Director models the service excellence behavior standards based on Health Ministry core values.
- Director understands and complies with Ascension Health/ Health Ministry standards of conduct regarding: quality of care, laws and regulations, human resources, business and ethical practices, confidentiality, and conflicts of interest.
Administers the performance management program for all associates.
- Career development resources such as Health Ministry Education department, LEAP, information on community colleges and universities, Health Ministry sponsored schools and scholarships are discussed ongoing with associates.
- Career paths are researched and when feasible developed in the department for associates.
- Transfers and promotions are encouraged and supported when assisting an associate in career development.
- Staff with leadership potential are identified and work with Management Development to develop necessary skills to prepare them for future opportunities.
This associate promotes, exemplifies and supports the Ascension Health Core Values of Service of the Poor, Reverence, Integrity, Wisdom, Creativity, and Dedication. All work is performed with a direct reflection of the Mission, Vision and Values of Ascension Health.
- Performance plans, job specifications, and essential functions are developed according to performance management program guidelines, reviewed with associate and updated, if needed, on at least an annual basis.
- Performance standards and expectations are clearly communicated with all associates.
- Coaching and feedback of associates are continuous throughout the year.
- Documentation of performance, both positive and negative, is maintained on all associates.
- Progressive counseling, as needed, is used consistently and fairly with all associates.
- Appraisals completed and reviewed in conjunction with the associates by established review dates.
Limited travel required for local Health Ministry, Ministry Market or Saint Louis Supply Chain meetings or initiatives.
Ascension Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Baccalaureate degree required and Master’s degree in business, business administration, health administration, marketing, engineering, or related field preferred.
- Ten (10) years in healthcare supply chain, purchasing, healthcare, or other closely related if Baccalaureate or Masters Degreed. Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience and computer skills required, supply chain legacy operating system experience preferred.
- Knowledge of The Joint Commission (TJC), Occupation Health and Safety Association (OSHA) and Department of Health guidelines and regulations are extremely important.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to deal effectively with allied health professionals and vendors.
- Certification with ISM, APICS, Healthcare Resource Management, CPM, or CPIM a plus.
- Excellent analytical and process improvement skills.
- Familiarity with computers, purchasing, inventory and distribution systems essential.
Ascension Health has ascended to the pinnacle of not-for-profit health care. As the largest Catholic hospital system in the US, and thus one...