JOB SUMMARY: Directs statistical reporting and state supplemental filings for all property & casualty companies in the Finance Shared Services Center. Develops and maintains practices and standards to meet regulatory and management requirements. Directs the reporting of premiums, losses, and statistical details to state agencies and bureaus. Works closely with business partners in Finance, IT, Legal and P&C regional operations.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Accounting Executive. Typically directs five or more Accounting Managers and Analysts directly and more than fifteen associates and offshore contractors indirectly.
1. Directs the preparation, analysis and required filing of monthly, quarterly, and annual statistical and state supplemental reports for all Property & Casualty companies filed with state agencies, bureaus and Departments of Insurance. Directs the reporting of premiums, losses, and transactional details in required formats to statistical bureau agencies. Works closely with IT to collect data from policy administrative systems to meet regulatory reporting requirements.
2. Reviews, advises, counsels and participates actively concerning new systems developments and other systems related matters to ensure accuracy of all reported data.
3. Responds to applicable inquiries from State Insurance Departments, internal and external auditors and other regulatory agencies. Provides statistical information to various Nationwide offices to be used in the support of other filing, analysis and reporting requirements. Demonstrates ability to manage and prioritize high volume of regulatory filings and meet tight deadlines.
4. Manages special projects/assignments as directed by senior management.
5. Provides advice, counsel and assistance concerning regulatory reporting requirements and practices.
6. Directs the preparation of special reports and analyses as requested by management and external agencies.
7. Represents officer/executive as assigned. May attend trade association meetings as Company representative.
8. Directs associate management including: performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in accounting or finance. Post graduate level studies desirable.
Licenses/Registration: CPA preferred. CPCU desirable.
Experience: Ten years accounting experience in insurance or financial services industry. Product and systems experience desirable. At least five years of management experience.
Knowledge: GAAP and/or STAT accounting, tax and systems principles. Insurance accounting principles, practices and procedures. Insurance regulatory requirements. Management policies, practices and procedures.
Skills/Competencies: Advanced verbal and written communication skills for contact with all levels of associates including business unit leadership, external parties such as public accountants, state examiners, industry professionals, and other clients. Ability to analyze and solve issues, interpret financial statements and data, analyze legal requirements, examine and monitor filing schedules, and review general ledger entries and audit work papers and schedules. Ability to direct associates in all aspects of assigned filings and record maintenance, regulatory reporting requirements, and special projects.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: VP and HR Consultant.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt).
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Must be able to work outside of the normal workday including occasional weekends to meet deadlines and complete special projects. Must be able to handle a high volume/large variety of work within strict deadlines and the related stress.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 16 months ago