The mission for the Director, Consumer Insights is to create a competitive advantage for Netflix by delivering insights that help define strategy and facilitate speed and accuracy of decision-making. This individual will be accountable for defining, leading and analyzing research projects that make a difference to the business. She/He will identify Market Research needs and priorities, based on the company’s strategy, and based on an in-depth understanding of the market, and where it’s heading. She/He will be part of the Consumer Insights team that devises and implements research and offers strong strategy-setting and decision-making support across the company, based on compelling, non-obvious customer insights and based on a thorough understanding of competition. This individual will have a direct and immediate impact on the business.
- Develop insights that shape strategy and drive key decisions.
- Design, execute and interpret research that yields a greater number of new subscribers for Netflix and/or increases the retention of existing Netflix subscribers.
- Ensure key decisions that drive strategy, marketing plans, and the subscriber experience are based on relevant insights and consumer data. Pragmatically this translates into keenly understanding the business and where it is headed, partnering with the marketing and product development organizations, fielding numerous qualitative studies each week and understanding/interpreting numerous primary research studies each week.
- Bring the voice of the subscriber and the potential subscriber into the organization, and stimulate an already strong consumer culture that is anchored in deep consumer understanding.
- Proactively identify business-moving research and present them to your partners.
- Create fact-based competitive analysis and anticipate competitive responses and plans.
The Director, Consumer Insights will have at least 10 to 20 years of experience as a hands-on, generalist market research professional at consumer focused companies. He/She will have hands-on expertise in and love of conducting qualitative studies and interpreting quantitative research.
The ideal candidate will thrive on wanting to know why consumers act and feel the way they do, loves sharing this understanding with others, and is known for accurately predicting consumer behavior and reaction. The candidate will have worked in an environment where research is valued and considered core to accomplishing business objectives. So by way of example, the candidate will have worked at a consumer packaged goods company recognized for strong brand marketing (Procter & Gamble, PepsiCo, etc.) where marketing decisions are based on consumer insights/solid market analytics. The candidate will then have moved into a senior role with a consumer company that acquires and interacts with consumers in a direct manner (eCommerce firms, wireless providers etc.). Alternatively a candidate will have worked in an ad agency environment noted for its exceptional planning function or at a highly regarded research company.
The individual will also have a track record of:
- Contributing to the profitable top-line growth of a publicly traded consumer-focused company
by uncovering behaviors and insights that result in breakthrough insights.
- Having a strong voice in setting strategy and identifying new directions versus someone who gets pressed into duty after the fact.
- Working effectively with cross-functional teams such as marketing and product development.
- Personally conducting qualitative research with a clear mastery of qualitative research techniques and their applications including moderating projects for a wide variety of clients and thriving in a variety of research settings from in-house facilities to consumer homes to retail-intercept to computer based interaction.
- Demonstrating experience with both Primary and Secondary Research, including creative design of qualitative and quantitative Primary Research studies.
- Strategic Leadership - Has the confidence, expertise, and insights to shape strategy and drive key business decisions.
- Visionary Consumer Mind - Runs circles around people when it comes to understanding consumers. Brings the voice of the consumers into the room in a way that has an direct and immediate impact on the business. Agile with large amounts of data (qualitative and quantitative)--determining what’s important and distilling it into actionable insights.
- Pragmatic - Has big capacity to both think and "do". Flourishes in a hands-on role, adding value at different levels. Has both the experience as well as the desire to work at all levels of the organization from assistant manager to the CEO. Can juggle the details and the big picture.
- Creative - Demonstrated ability to think innovatively—connecting the dots, where others cannot when it comes to consumers, to create business building insights.
- Will to Win - An entrepreneurial spirit who is aggressive about competing externally.
- Succinct Communicator - Is a straight-forward communicator. Can organize, clarify and communicate complex ideas quickly, succinctly and accurately. Has a quick intelligence, is fast on the feet, and quickly responds to inquiries and questions.
- Confident - Independent thinker that looks to build consensus around their ideas/vision but does not need consensus to pursue goals. Has a point of view and engages in healthy dialogue.
- Pace - Moves at a nice clip and enjoys having dozens of projects going at once. Can change course, be scrappy, and field research on short timeframes. Is intellectually quick and in his/her element.
- An Adult - Is a mature, fully-formed adult with a happy, well-balanced life. Is motivated by what is best for Netflix.
Recognizing the importance of the position, Netflix will offer an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, stock options, 401K (with match), comprehensive benefits, and relocation.
The Director, Consumer Insights will report to the VP, Consumer Insights. He/She will be part of the self-directed Consumer Insights team that reports to the CMO.
Netflix - 21 months ago
Netflix, Inc. is an online movie rental subscription service in the United States, providing approximately 7.5 million subscribers access to...