First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
As part of the External Affairs team, the Director, External Affairs – HI is an advocate for advancing the interests and business plans of First Wind relative to federal, state, and local issues in Hawaii. This representation, compliant with the company business principles, enhances First Wind’s image, credibility, and favorability among state agencies and regulatory officials and the general public/community. This position will support the operation of First Wind’s wind farms in Hawaii, and the development and construction of new wind, solar, or other clean energy facilities in the state. The Director, External Affairs – HI reports to the Vice President, State Policy, located in Portland, Maine, and manages the Community Outreach Coordinator, based on O’ahu.
· As a part of the External Affairs group, this position works closely with all members of the First Wind Hawaii team to support the company’s business plans through strategic leadership on public policy, regulatory matters, community and media outreach, and stakeholder relationships.
· Analyzes laws, policies, regulations, and proposals to determine their impacts on First Wind's operations, assets, and business plans. Builds upon existing relationships and positive reputation among elected officials in Hawaii at federal, state, and local levels.
· Assists with development efforts on Maui and O’ahu by supporting permitting work, coordinating community engagement, and maintaining relationships with business and government (including Hawaii utilities).
· Supervises the community outreach coordinator (Hawaii) position in support of First Wind’s operations, construction, and development activities. Helps the coordinator with community affairs activities and strategy.
· Supports the company’s interests in Hawaii through outreach to the media, elected officials, project communities, and other stakeholders. In coordination with the director of corporate communications, maintains relationships with TV, radio and print media in Hawaii, and helps develop press strategy and content.
· Designs issue management strategy and plans, and, as required, coordinate support and execution among contract lobbyists and other consultants, industry representatives, environmental groups, and other interested parties.
· 2-3 years minimum experience in state legislative and/or regulatory process
· 2 years minimum experience in public relations and/or energy field
· Demonstrated or significant experience in advocacy or public policy and fundamental knowledge of state legislative/regulatory processes.
· Demonstrated skill and success in developing and maintaining credible, influential relationships with key government, business, and community leaders. Experience in working with Hawaii state government preferred.
· Knowledge of HI energy industry preferred. This would include ability to analyze policy and law and how it affects First Wind.
· Demonstrated experience in lobbying complex issues before state government.
· Demonstrated ability to plan for and deliver timely, high quality, customer-oriented strategies and results.
· Bachelor’s degree. Master's or Law degree a plus.
· Demonstrated leadership ability to motivate and lead internal and external multi-stakeholder groups to achieve desired results. Supervisory experience a plus.
First Wind - 15 months ago
At First Wind, wind is the first and last item in its business model. The vertically integrated energy company (formerly UPC Wind) develops,...