Millions of times a day in more than 85% of American households, consumers reach for Pinnacle Foods brands. We are a leading producer, marketer and distributor of high-quality branded food products, which have been trusted household names for decades. Headquartered in Parsippany, New Jersey, our business employs an average of approximately 4,300 employees. We are a leader in the shelf stable and frozen foods segments and our brands hold the #1 or #2 market position in 8 out of 12 major category segments in which they compete. Our Duncan Hines Grocery Division manages Leadership brands such as Duncan Hines® baking mixes and frostings, Vlasic® shelf-stable pickles and Mrs. Butterworth's® and Log Cabin® table syrups and Foundation brands such as Armour® canned meats, Brooks® and Nalley® chili and chili ingredients, Comstock® and Wilderness® pie and pastry fillings and Open Pit® barbecue sauces. Our Birds Eye Frozen Division manages Leadership brands such as Birds Eye®, Birds Eye Steamfresh®, C&W®, McKenzie's®, and Fresh like® vegetables, Birds Eye Voila!® complete bagged meals and Van de Kamp's® and Mrs. Paul's® seafood and Foundation brands such as Lender's® bagels, Celeste® pizza, Hungry-Man® dinners and entrées and Aunt Jemima® frozen breakfasts. Our Specialty Foods Division manages Tim's Cascade Snacks®, Hawaiian® Kettle Style Potato Chips, Erin’s® Popcorn, Snyder of Berlin® and Husman's® in addition to our food service and private label businesses. Pinnacle Foods is a Top 1000 Company ranked on Fortune Magazine’s 2011 Top 1000 companies list.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Director is responsible for spearheading all insight application on break-through innovation across the Pinnacle Organization. This includes ownership of the CI strategies, plans, and the execution of those plans for building a 3-Year Innovation Pipeline and driving Big Ideas from Ideation through to Commercialization. To accomplish the requirements of this position the incumbent must have mastery of in the use of all types of innovation practices from fuzzy front end to monitoring in-market success. The incumbent uses this mastery to drive innovation best practices within Pinnacle and successful, innovative products to the Market.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drive the planning and execution of the research against all Pinnacle Break-through Innovation from Ideation to Commercialization.
- Develop the Scorecard and Targets for Success Indicators and Monitor Launch of New Items to ensure Success. Conduct course correction research if necessary.
- Drive research essential to building 3-Year Consumer Validated Pipeline.
- Partner with R&D to drive Product Development to meet Consumer Expectations.
- Work with CI colleagues to conduct landscape research needed to identify innovation territories.
- Conduct all fuzzy front end territory exploration.
- Be an indispensible business partner to the Marketing Innovation Teams on Frozen and Dry Grocery.
- Conduct annual assessment on past Innovation as part of Situation Assessment integrating multiple data sources to identifying strength and opportunities for further improvement.
- Work with the VP in the development and implementation of best demonstrated practices and protocols, vendor management, and standardized methods and standards for Pinnacle Innovation.
- Train the organization on Innovation Standards, Protocols and Best Practices (ex: Concept Writing.)
- Represent center of expertise against key growth cohorts impacting multiple brands.
- Monitor and immerse consumer trends and their implications to our business into the Organization. Develop work-streams to drive activation against trend opportunities.
- Insure the appropriate cost/value relationships in the data acquired, the research executed, the analysis performed, and the recommendations made.
- Insure the capture of brand/category knowledge and creation of institutional knowledge.
- Set, manage and evaluate IRI Consumer Panel resources, ensuring appropriate workload prioritization through-out the organization.
- With the VP, identify and address department wide development needs.
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker.
- Strong communications skills: Oral, Presentation, Written, Interpersonal.
- Ability to understand and deal with complexity and ambiguity.
- Effective Leader, Teacher, Coach, and Mentor.
- Able to interact effectively with marketing management, with strong Influence Skills.
- Understand the retail CPG industry, with emphasis on food products (frozen and dry).
- In depth knowledge of innovation research, data, and vendors and their capabilities.
- Solid understanding of innovation process from fuzzy-front-end through to commercialization.
- Creative and insightful analyst.
- Ability to indentify key leverage points and set priorities accordingly.
- Ability to effectively manage third party (supplier) resources.
- Solid expertise in Innovation Research tools, techniques and methodologies
- Ten+ years of marketing research/CCI experience with heavy concentration in foods or packaged goods. Experience with a major packaged goods manufacture strongly preferred.
- Hands on experience with the full range of innovation research techniques and processes.
- Matrixed leadership experience in a multi-client environment.
- Experience in working with R&D in the product development/innovation process.
Pinnacle Foods Group is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Undergraduate degree essential.
- MBA/MA strongly preferred.
- Relevant majors: Marketing, Marketing Research, Psychology, Anthropology, Economics, or Statistics.