Director, NCAA Compliance & Student-Athlete Services
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable Based on Experience & Qualifications (No less than $35,000)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The Department of Athletics and Recreation at Michigan Technological University is accepting applications for the position of Director of NCAA Compliance and Student-Athlete Services. Michigan Tech is a NCAA Division II institution with Division I Men’s Ice Hockey and is a member of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference ( GLIAC ), Western Collegiate Hockey Association ( WCHA ) and Central Collegiate Ski Association ( CCSA ). The Athletic Department sponsors 14 varsity programs. The Director of NCAA Compliance and Student-Athlete Services will create, implement, and monitor a comprehensive NCAA rules compliance program. The position will also be responsible for assisting student-athletes achieve academic success.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Administer compliance program with NCAA , conference, and university rules in the areas of recruiting, financial aid, amateurism, and eligibility
2. Conduct rules education; interpret NCAA rules; and pursue waivers and appeals with the NCAA , GLIAC and WCHA .
3. Oversee completion of Federal, NCAA , Conference and University reports related to athletics.
4. Develop and coordinate academic support programs that enable student-athletes to receive appropriate and timely academic assistance; develop academic schedules, assist in making career/academic choices and assist at-risk student athletes, as appropriate.
5. Recruitment of guest speakers to campus and secure appropriate funding.
6. Instruction of master student-athlete course and other classes as needed.
7. Department liaison with Financial Aid, Registrars, Dean of Students and Admissions offices.
8. Advise Student Athlete Advisory Council.
9. Additional duties as assigned.
10. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Functional supervision may be exercised over student staff.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Bachelor’s degree.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Experience in an athletics office at the NCAA Division I and/or Division II levels.
• Experience using the NCAA online applications suite (LSDBi, CA, APR , GSR , etc.)
• Experience certifying NCAA eligibility and knowledge of NCAA academic requirements and regulations.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Experience in an educational setting advising student-athletes at a NCAA Division I and Division II levels.
Experience with Banner.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Working knowledge of standard computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite, and possess the ability to learn and utilize the specific software necessary for academic advising and tutoring.
• Effective time management skills.
• Great attention to details.
• Sincere desire and ability to assist student-athletes to succeed.
• Ability to interact effectively with student-athletes, advisors, coaches, faculty and administrators.
• Willingness to work nights and weekends.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment.
• Create possibilities, exceed expectations and inspire learning.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
The optional reference list should include contact information for 2 to 3 references.
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...