From coast to coast, Rural/Metro employees are tied together by their overwhelming desire to help others. Every day and every call for our team of highly-trained professionals is different than the one before.
At Rural/Metro, we celebrate the successes of our team members, and doing the right thing for those we serve.
Rural/Metro is a leader in private ambulance and fire protection services in 21 states and more than 700 communities nationwide. Rural/Metro has provided high-quality patient care, met and exceeded the expectations of the communities we serve, and invested in the success of our employees since 1948.
Job Summary: The primary job responsibilities of the Dispatcher are to receive telephone calls requesting medical assistance and/or transportation from residences, public service agencies and/or medical facilities. He/she shall dispatch medical unit(s) to the scene in response for assistance; operate radio communication equipment to monitor field operations of EMS units and personnel, and perform other related tasks and duties as assigned by appropriate authority. They also handle all incoming calls (receives and prioritizes) in a swift and proper manner through the use of Communications Center systems. Dispatch the appropriate vehicles/personnel as appropriate. In addition, a dispatcher will make phone calls to update, add to, inform and facilitate Rural/Metro customers.
Essential Functions :
• Receive and prioritizes all incoming telephone calls.
• Demonstrates the ability to effectively channel emergency and non-emergency calls to appropriate personnel.
• Efficiently dispatch vehicles to emergency and non-emergency calls in a timely manner.
• Demonstrates the ability to make accurate moment to moment decision making in regard to the dispatch of emergency and non-emergency vehicles.
• Effectively triages all in coming requests for service according to the CBD (Criteria Based Dispatch) for individual counties. Training will be provided for employees.
• Obtains required information from party requesting medical transport (as set forth by communications manager).
• Demonstrates ability to effectively use paging system, Nextel’s, cell phones and land lines, and all portable or mounted radios; troubleshoots problems mechanical / equipment problems and contacts lead dispatcher, communication supervisor, and communication manager as appropriate.
• Prepare and complete reports stating progress, problems and statistics for review by appropriate managers and supervisors.
• Perform basic data entry; demonstrate ability to learn new computer programs and perform some advanced data entry.
• Maintains professional telecommunication contact with field units and other agencies comprising emergency service network to communicate activities of personnel, enlist services of other protective agencies, or provide alternative directions to on scene personnel
• Training will be provided for employees.
• Participate in training programs as required.
• Attends communications meetings
• Attend all Company required OSHA training, annual training, and all mandatory Company updates. Complete the training in the allotted time the Company sets.
• Maintain knowledge of job.
• Keep current on training for new equipment, procedures, and techniques.
• Maintain a safe and healthy workplace in accordance with all appropriate OSHA standards, company policies and local standard operating procedures.
• Complies and enforces all policies and procedures.
• Ensures and inspects paperwork for accuracy and compliance.
• Responsible for escalating concerns regarding questionable paperwork to appropriate management.
• Has successfully completed all required Compliance Training within the required time period.
• Has had no compliance related corrective action during the current review period.
Additional Duties : The Dispatcher may be assigned one of more additional duties. These duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist with providing information for investigations of incidents as required.
• Perform other job related duties as assigned by the operational management.
Rural/Metro is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.
- Dispatch experience a plus
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Strong ability to multi-task
- Availability to work 12 hour shifts within a 24/7 operation