First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
First Wind is expanding the DACC Operations team located in the Boston control room. The Distributed Asset Control Center monitors wind farms on a 24x7x365 basis and is the first to respond to events. The DACC Operator will monitor activity, performance and operations of wind turbines at wind farms using cutting edge technology. The DACC Operator will be responsible for monitoring wind turbine status, substation status, and other key operational elements for uptime and problem resolution. The DACC Operator will be responsible for coordinating event response and repair activities between various utilities, field operation staff, and vendors. The DACC Operator will also be responsible for complying with all regulatory requirements governing required response time in incident management.
This position can be based in Temecula, CA or Boston, MA
- Present schedules, work orders and/or assignments for work activities based on priorities set by Operations Manager and professional experience.
- Develop cost effective programs to further operations and maintenance.
- Manage, educate and mentor turbine technicians. STM shall be responsible for real time and annual reviews of those under their supervision.
- Investigate accidents and injuries.
- Create reports as required by Operations Manager and First Wind.
- Oversee site WTG spare parts and tool inventory. STM shall be required to order and replace used/lost inventory so as not to affect park production.
- Manage part warranties to the standards and interests of First Wind, including the submittal of required warranty forms.
- Provide oversight of safe and reliable wind turbine operations, site personnel and contractors (including the creation of site procedures and policies).
- Lead by example to ensure compliance with all First Wind processes, procedures and policies while maintaining standards of the corporate code of conduct in all employees under supervision.
- Ensures compliance with all local, state and federal regulations in all concerns, including but not limited to; environmental, NERC/FERC, local laws and regulations.
- Complete projects assigned by OM or others.
- Travel as needed.
- Monitor activity, performance and operations of wind turbines in the DACC.
- Coordinate and implement actions to maximize production from the wind turbines.
- Coordinate power system switching operations and serve as the primary communications interface with site operating staff, utilities, and Independent System Operators.
- Respond to events and escalate to the on-call technicians as necessary.
- Create and maintain procedures for normal and emergency operations of remotely and locally operated equipment.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to respond to events/alarms.
- Assist with the forecasting and scheduling of power.
- Monitor and analyze information to minimize turbine down time.
- Maintain daily logs and prepare reports as required.
- An Associate’s degree in Electrical Technology or equivalent.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Power Plant Engineering Technology or equivalent. (preferred)
- Experience with Clipper turbines and control systems. (preferred)
- Remote Monitoring and Diagnostics Center experience.
- Experience with Fenway Wind Control System control and parameter updating.
- Understanding of Clipper fault codes and reset requirements.
- Experience creating and maintaining Clipper Wind Turbine Generator remote operation procedures.
- Experience coordinating Clipper WTG maintenance activities with local Operations and Maintenance personnel.
- Current NERC certification (preferred)
- Ability to become NERC certified within 9 months.
- Ability to perform reliably and in a systematic manner under time sensitive/high pressure situations; ability to make critical decisions and communicate efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to utilize multiple and diverse indications to systematically monitor and trend component status.
- Ability to efficiently plan and coordinate tasks between multiple groups
- Ability to effectively work on a team
- Excellent communication, writing and organizational skills.
- Analytical/logical reasoning ability.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays. Schedule is three 12-hour shifts on Sunday through Tuesday or Thursday through Saturday, with one 8-hour shift every other Wednesday. Some rotations may be required.
- Experience in power systems operation is desired.
At First Wind, wind is the first and last item in its business model. The vertically integrated energy company (formerly UPC Wind) develops,...