As a part of Marathon’s S. Texas/Eagle Ford asset, the Drilling Engineer will be responsible for monitoring a portion of the 20-rig drilling program in the Eagle Ford area. The successful candidate will manage and supervise their own exploration and development well projects through close coordination with completion and reservoir engineers, geoscientists, and field personnel, resulting in the formulation of recommendations for optimizing drilling designs
- Utilizes field operational knowledge and experience to design, plan, coordinate and implement drilling programs for the Eagle Ford drilling organization.
- Works closely with members of the drilling and completions and other disciplines within the Asset Teams in developing strategies to achieve well construction and data gathering objectives. Provides conceptual ideas and cost estimates for strategic portfolio decisions.
- Develops cost estimates and risks vs. rewards analysis to determine the best operational methods to achieve the chosen strategies.
- Reviews offset information to identify potential problems and areas for improvement. Plans chosen operational methods while coordinating the work of vendors and supplier support personnel. Seeks input from internal (both office-based and field) and external sources informally as well as through a peer review of the plan.
- Optimizes drilling programs by recommending appropriate wellbore hydraulics, bit and casing seat selection, mud and cementing programs, and procedures to predict and detect abnormal pressures.
- Supports the implementation of operational plans by acquiring the necessary contractors, equipment and supplies. Thoroughly seeks input and reviews plans with Field Supervisors, contractor and vendor personnel.
- Promotes and maintains safety and environmental consciousness among employees and contractors. Develops and implements programs and incentives to enhance performance and commitment.
- Supports Field Supervisors throughout the implementation and assists on-site as needed. Serves as the primary point of contact for the implementation team.
- Documents results, problems and causes, lessons learned and improvement suggestions throughout the implementation. Disseminates this information and incorporates improvements and learnings into subsequent plans.
- Keeps informed on applicable governmental laws and regulations, advises others as needed, and ensures compliance within area of responsibility. Assists in regulatory permitting process.
- Keeps abreast of new equipment, processes, techniques and technical information relative to critical well operations. Recommends and implements changes in procedures. Consistently reaches beyond assigned work scope to provide solutions for broad application within the organization.
- Thoroughly communicates technical issues and can act as a company representative at industry technical forums and in dealings with business partners.
Degree: Bachelors Required
Major: Engineering Required, Petroleum Engineering preferred
Work Experience: Knowledge of field operations and a minimum of 7 years of experience as a Drilling Engineer.
Computer Proficiencies: Proficient in standard computer applications. Training will be supplied for job-specific requirements.
Certifications: None required initially. Required training and associated certifications, such as Well Control, will be provided.
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
- Email this opportunity to a friend
Based in Houston, Texas, Marathon Oil is an independent exploration and production (E&P) with activity in North America, Europe and...