General Statement of Duties
The ED technician is a part of the Emergency Department patient care team who collaboratively works in a complementary and assistive role with nursing. The ED tech performs a variety of delegated tasks under the supervision of the registered nurse. He/she assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in accordance with one’s training, competence and skill and Hospital policies and procedures. Consistently assists the patient care team with maintaining a clean, well organized, adequately stocked and safe patient environment.
Essential Job Functions
1. Under supervision of the RN, performs delegated patient care activities as directed and ordered in accordance with one’
s training, competence and skill. Delegated tasks may include: (
Note: Training and competency for any discretionary delegation patient care tasks performed must be documented)
2. Proficiently sets up for procedures performed in the Emergency Department and assists RN as directed.
3. Communicates timely and accurate information for delegated patient care activities performed to include observed patient response to performed activities to the assigned RN in a written or verbal format following hand-off communication guidelines.
4. Consistently maintains adequate stocking and restocking to PAR levels of patient care supplies and equipment kept in the department.
5. Is knowledgeable about the processes and demonstrates proficient use of department equipment to include:
Tracking of equipment
Cleaning of instruments at point of use
Utilizing Sterile Processing Department (as appropriate)
6. Consistently assists with maintaining a safe patient environment to include following all patient safety initiatives, hand hygiene and use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate following transmission base precaution procedures.
Job Description Appendix A:
Environmental and Physical Demands/Hazardous Conditions
( X ) INSIDE: Spends approximately __ hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 5% increments of work time):
Sitting 10 % + Standing 45 % + Walking 45 % = 100%
Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient/heaviest object specific to the department.
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( X ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing upto 10 lbs.
( ) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects Weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects
weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of
objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics
High School Graduation or equivalent
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line,
facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient populations served (if
Experience as ER Tech, EMT, Military Medic currently enrolled in nursing school
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required
HCA Inc - 16 months ago