POSITION: EHS Specialist
REPORTS TO: Manager of EHS
LOCATION: Ellwood City, PA 16117
A leading manufacturer of tubular steel structures used
in electrical utilities and telecommunications
industries has an immediate opening for an
Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) specialist at its
manufacturing facility in Ellwood City, PA. Reporting to
the company’s Manager of EHS, the EHS Specialistprovides
administrative and technical support to the development,
application and continuous improvement of environmental,
health and safety (EHS) management. The EHS Specialist
is responsible for implementing all policies and
procedures that comprise the EHS program including, but
limited to, evaluation and control of safety and health
hazards in the workplace, and routine hazard recognition
and environmental management. The EHS Specialist also
supports these functions by performing routine tasks
associated with inspection of necessary equipment. The
EHS Specialist works with managers, supervisors, and
employees to minimize environmental exposures,
occupational health and safety risks, teaches specific
safe work habits, and manages compliance with applicable
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
The EHS Specialist supports the company’s efforts at the
Ellwood City facility to prevent the occurrence of
environmental, safety, health and medical issues and
ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state,
and local environmental, health and safety regulations.
The EHS Specialist must remain up‑to-date on current and
proposed regulations and must evaluate their impact on
The EHS Specialist supports the company’s governmental
regulatory compliance and company policy as directed.
Regulatory compliance includes, but is not limited to,
the Environmental Protection Agency, the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration, and state and local
authorities. Duties and responsibilities include the
Health and Safety at the company’s corporate offices
- Directly support the Manager of Environmental,
to ensure and facilitate compliance with all
applicable federal, state, local and company EHS
rules and regulations.
maintenance and material handling areas at the
- Provide a strong EHS floor presence in production,
- Assist and provide input to the Manager of EHS in
inspections, identification, containerization,
- Manage hazardous and non-hazardous waste
consolidation, labeling, accumulation and shipment
for disposal and maintain records of such.
of protocols for paint usage tracking in the paint
- Assist in the development, implementation and review
booth to ensure compliance with applicable PBR
(permit by rule).
including, but not limited to, area noise
- Collect, document and record site EHS monitoring
measurements and storm water samples.
plant leadership and employees to develop plans for
- Review safety issues and incidents and work with
inspections, perform records documentation and
- Schedule and conduct site EHS compliance
provide corrective action response recommendations
occupational safety to manage safety programs such
- Support and participate in incident investigations.
- Use a working knowledge of personal, industrial &
as Life Safety Code, Forklift Operations, Hoist &
Crane Operations, Lifting Equipment, Job Safety
Analysis, Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control,
Respiratory Protection, PPE Program, Hazard
Communication and other OSHA required programs.
Monthly Safety Meetings calendar and associated
- Assist the Manager of EHS in the development of a
content and assist with the presentation of topical
information as appropriate in order to provide
required and appropriate EHS training and to promote
safety and hazard awareness.
- Conduct new hire and temporary employee EHS
through meeting attendance, inspection team
- Support and participate in Safety Committee meetings
leadership, findings documentation and corrective
measures development and closure tracking.
statistics and figures to be presented in the form
- Gather and organize pertinent information,
of EHS metrics.
supplies, materials and equipment for program use.
- Maintain EHS files and inventory of EHS forms,
maintenance floor audits and prepare and submit
- Support and participate in production, shop and
maintenance requests as required ensuring corrective
determine the potential hazards of new processes and
- Collect data and assist in regulatory reporting.
- Assist in the performance of risk assessments to
projects (capital projects and others) and ensure
that all applicable Federal, State, and Local
regulations, along with industry standards, (ANSI,
NFPA, ACGIH) are followed.
new chemical under consideration for use at the
- Assist in the process to identify and approve any
- Maintain a current and accurate MSDS database
EHS cost control measures.
- Assist in identifying, developing and implementing
the use of safety equipment including PPE, chemical
- Develop and implement JSA’s and training programs in
hazards, noise hazards, physical hazards and safe
operating practices and assist in the implementation
and management of such programs. Maintain
recordkeeping as directed.
material release first responders and First Aid
- Participate in emergency response functions such as
procedures and conduct drills.
- Develop and implement emergency evacuation plans and
- Maintain professional training competencies.
Environmental Health and Safety in this or a related
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety or
field is preferred. Job experience, professional
development and continuing education may be
substituted for educational experience.
laws and regulation relating to environmental,
- Good working knowledge of federal, state and local
health and safety.
health and safety (personal, industrial &
- Experience in managing compliance of environmental,
occupational) regulations, policies and procedures.
and safety principles.
- Thorough working knowledge of environmental, health
in English. Spanish speaking and writing ability is
- Good math skills.
- Well developed oral and written communication skills
reports, access data and maintain records.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to prepare
problem solving skills to recognize and analyze
- Well developed analytical skills and creative
needs and propose solutions to effectively address
status and impact of current activities and develop
- Ability to actively recognize and assimilate the
appropriate response measures.
with people to resolve issues.
- Team player approach and ability to effectively work
hours or more and capability of lifting up to 75
- Physical capacity to walk, stand and stoop for 10
- Ability to plan and coordinate multiple diverse
processing, internet search tools, and power point
- Experience with database computer skills, word
Annual salary of $65,000, plus full benefit plan.
Relocation assistance may be offered, as appropriate.