EMS/SCADA Database Specialist-25607
Xcel Energy has an opportunity for an EMS/SCADA Database Specialist to join our team in Amarillo, TX.
This group is currently involved in a conversion project from a Siemens system to a GE system.
In this role, you will be responsible for the daily maintenance of the Energy Management System (EMS) database and display work activity for the electrical system and available telemetry for assigned areas. Complete modifications for field construction activities to the database impacting the real-time SCADA System while supporting other applications including Automatic Generation Control (AGC), Energy Accounting, ICCP, ITS, and Network Analysis, which are all used for controlling and monitoring Xcel Energy's electrical grid.
Responsible for the daily maintenance of the Energy Management System (EMS) database and display work activity for the electrical system and available telemetry for assigned areas. Complete modifications for field construction activities to the database impacting the real-time SCADA System while supporting other applications including Automatic Generation Control (AGC), Energy Accounting, ICCP, ITS, and Network Analysis, which are all used for controlling and monitoring Xcel Energy's electrical grid.
- Maintain an accurate real-time database resulting from field construction changes while ensuring correct system configuration is available. Implement changes to the real-time SCADA database in a timely manner using Oracle and Spectrum DBA. Update displays to reflect changes on the system. Verify database changes are accurate and complete. Complete testing before, during, and after implementation, as required.
- Analyze and determine the correct system operating changes related to the transmission, distribution, and generation electrical system using data collected from engineering projects and available company diagrams. Determine all the advanced applications to be affected by changes and notify those responsible. Coordinate work with Control System Operators, Energy Markets, field personnel, technicians, neighboring utilities, appropriate power pools, and other Database Specialists.
- Coordinate and schedule construction project work for the appropriate region. Support advanced applications and special projects, when needed. Work independently as well as part of the team.
- Ensure the integrity of the database using special utilities, AIX UNIX, and SQL. Support new and changing requirements by the end-users of the system. Identify methods for enhancing existing database and display maintenance work. Set up and maintain all data to be archived.
- Maintain standards and procedures for the EMS database and displays. Make recommendations regarding standardization between all three regions of Xcel, as needed.
- Provide backup support for other team members, as needed.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 6 years Utility work or database experience and/or Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field.
- 3 years SCADA or related Utility work experience
- Advanced technical training in one or more of the following areas: computer systems, relational databases, power systems design, engineering, or operations
- Knowledge of SQL
- Ability to apply Utility regulatory practices to applicable databases and operations
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skill and detail orientation
- Ability to work as member of a cross functional team
Primary Location: TX-Amarillo
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Xcel Energy - 15 months ago
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...