The Data Steward role assists in the overall quality of data solutions and on a day to day basis performs tasks to ensure the integrity of data moving in and out of the Reporting environments. In addition, this role will participates in the planning, design, development, and launch of efficient data related systems (enterprise data warehouses, enterprise dimensional models, Business Intelligence cubes, relational databases and legacy systems) in support of core organizational functions and business processes. This includes eliciting and analyzing and testing systems and data in support of business cases, proposed projects, and systems requirements. The Data Steward is also responsible for identifying issues, the probable causes and possible solutions. This individual will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to maximize the ability to satisfy commitment to ensuring the data integrity within our data and analytics related systems.
The Data Steward has the following requirements for establishing and managing the enterprise level data in the BI reporting environment:
- Drive efforts to analyze, evaluate, and interpret data.
- Substantiate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Review and approve elicited requirements and development of project requirements documents and system design life cycle documents such as Solutions Architect Packages and Project Workplans.
- Assist in the creation of Data Marts, DA/ODS and enhancements to add data elements to production files.
- Test/validate changes/enhancements to D&I and Corporate systems and review appropriate documentation when necessary.
- Participate in development of data flows and interpretation of data models.
- Creates and reviews technical and functional systems documentation such as mapping documents, Standard Operating Procedures, extract specifications and transformation specifications to ensure information is accurate and up to date.
Continuous Development of Skill Set
- Establish, execute and enforce data policies. Develop clear and concise documentation, training and data modeling.
- Enhance/refine analytical skills using resources such as online self-paced training or internal/external hands on classroom training for topics such as data warehousing, data modeling, dimensional models and data mining.
- Expand knowledge of the systems, methods, practices, procedures, policies, regulations followed at CareFirst and develop technical skills including but not limited to SQL, SQL databases, Oracle, Data Marts, Data Flows, Data Modeling and Data Policies.
- Build upon existing project management/SDLC knowledge that will be applied to data warehousing activities.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Information Technology, Computer Science or related fields OR equivalent experience AND 8 -10 years of experience working in an IT development, data warehousing, business intelligence or related environment.
Technical skills and competencies:
Hands-on experience with SQL
Understanding of Data Warehousing, Data Modeling, Data Flows, Operational Data Stores and Data mining
Ability to create reports using at least one of the following: SQL, Excel, Hyperion or other reporting tools.
Ability to use and manipulate data in large scale (e.g. flat files, Access, SQL, Oracle)
Working knowledge of Relational databases and methods for efficient data retrieval.
Demonstrated ability to elicit, document, analyze and verify requirements.
Knowledge and experience with creating use cases and user acceptance testing concepts.
In addition must have:
The ability to be flexible and to work independently participate and in small teams.
Good verbal and written communications abilities are necessary. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
Ability to engage in problem-solving discussions.
Attention to detail; excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Demonstrated skill in analyzing problems which include identifying relevant factors, gathering pertinent information, and recognizing solutions.
Possess skills in performing thorough, accurate work which requires planning and logical steps.
Excellent organizational and self-directed skills - ability to initiate, coordinate and prioritize responsibilities and follow through on tasks and projects, and ability to perform multiple tasks in an environment of frequent and often short deadlines.
Strong PC skills including Microsoft office software such as Word, Power Point, Visio, MS Project and Excel.
The ability to provide assistance and advice to Business users in the effective use of data in the Operational Data Stores and Enterprise Warehouse.
The ability to serve as a liaison and facilitator between the business units to assist in addressing and resolving data issues.
Project management methodology including full system development life cycle.
Experience with software testing, test management and defect tracking tools.
Knowledge of organization and operations of the business areas.
Experience with Requirements Management Tools.
Working knowledge of Oracle Business Intelligence suite
Hyperion / Essbase experience
Peoplesoft systems experience
Healthcare industry experience
AHS Information Services
Staff / Associate
Jan 29, 2013, 1:45:40 PM
Adventist Health System - 19 months ago
Adventist Health System Sunbelt Healthcare's mission is to serve the community, and boy, does it! One of the country's largest...