Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Safety and Health Services Division currently has a full-time opportunity for an ESH Engineer I/ESH Engineer II.
Our internal and external customers recognize us as best-in-class providers of environment, safety, health and quality services. Our mission is to serve the environment, safety, health and quality needs of our internal customers in an effective and efficient manner and to meet or exceed the expectations of our external customers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the continued development and implementation of the mechanical systems safety programs for compliance with OSHA, ASME and ANSI standards for a wide range of mechanical systems, including cryogenics, pressure systems, industrial trucks, cranes, below-the-hook lifting devices, compressed gases, machine guarding and fall protection systems.
• Performing and verifying stress calculations of structures, including lift devices and pressure vessels, oxygen deficiency calculations, and balance and moment calculations to determine ground loading for cranes and industrial trucks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• ESH Engineer II- P-7 Level - Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering or other engineering discipline, and seven years’ work experience as a mechanical systems safety engineer in an industrial or laboratory setting
• ESH Engineer I- P-9 Level - Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering or other engineering discipline, and ten years work experience as a mechanical systems safety engineer in an industrial or laboratory setting;
• Demonstrated ability to effectively initiate and lead projects or programs; and expertise in mechanical systems safety codes/regulations such ASME, ANSI, and OSHA.
• Candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access) is required.
• Candidate must be capable of climbing ladders and scaffolds to perform inspections and tests, and must be able to perform visual examinations of mechanical devices and test articles.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• CSP or P.E. license is highly desirable.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements:
Moderate lifting (less than 30 lbs.) will be required occasionally. Climbing or work at heights above 5’ as well as confined spaces may be required at times. Work with moving machinery is an occasional duty. The incumbent may be required to work outdoors at times.
Computer/Keyboard work is an essential duty.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job # 16294.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....